Sanitizing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmoothSmoke

Reaction score
I've seen a video where the liquid yeast pack is thrown in a bucket with the sanitizer and the rest of the equipment to get sanitized. Can I do the same with the dry yeast pack or is it not water proof?

Dry yeast is packaged in oxygen barrier sachets, which also happen to be moisture tight. I always throw them into a shallow pan of Starsan with other various bits with no issues.

Yep, and to be safe.. you can even toss the scissors you cut the pack with. May be anal.. but, if you are going to do the sachet.. do the scissors as well.

Is it really necessary to sanitize the outside of the yeast packs? I have read some instructions stating to do this but so far i haven't done so and keep wondering why such a precaution is necessary.

scottab said:
Is it really necessary to sanitize the outside of the yeast packs? I have read some instructions stating to do this but so far i haven't done so and keep wondering why such a precaution is necessary.

Is it really that hard to do to ensure that you don't infect your beer?

I sanitize both the Wyeast pack and the scissors every time.

AmandaK said:
Is it really that hard to do to ensure that you don't infect your beer?

I sanitize both the Wyeast pack and the scissors every time.

Not questioning the difficulty, just the need. the inside of the tube, smack pack, yeast pack is already sanitary and when pouring out from whatever container it comes in i would think there is little to no contact with the outside of the package.

Yep, and to be safe.. you can even toss the scissors you cut the pack with. May be anal.. but, if you are going to do the sachet.. do the scissors as well.

That's what I do. Anything that touches or goes into the wort post boil gets a spray of star san. I like having a spray bottle of solution handy on brew day, plus it's great to have around when taking FG readings or adding post ferment adds. Anal, maybe, but I'd rather be safe than have to deal with an unwanted contamination.

It's probably not necessary, it is hard to contaminate a brew, but why not. It's not like it's hard to sanitize a yeast pack.

I always sanitize my yeast packets. It might not do anything, but its not hurting it either.

Back