Sanitizing carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronMaine

Reaction score
Newbie question. when sanitizing a 5 gallon carboy do you need to fill it with five gallons of sanitizing solution or is a couple gallons swirled around enough ?

Depends on what you're using for a sanitizing agent. If it's a standard Star San mix, contact time is under 30 seconds, so swirling a couple of cups around will work fine...

Cheers!

I always fill up the whole carboy and then dump that into a bucket for future use. Starsan and Iodophor can be kept in a bucket for weeks and still be viable as sanitizers.

Just enough for the solution and foam to make full contact with all interior surfaces. . I use no more than 1/2 gallon and shake it a few times while my wort is cooling.

day_trippr said:
Depends on what you're using for a sanitizing agent. If it's a standard Star San mix, contact time is under 30 seconds, so swirling a couple of cups around will work fine...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I am using Easy Clean right now

With a no rinse sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, swirling a couplegallons is fine. Another trick if it's a heavy carboy and you don't want to lift and swirl, fill it with 2.5 gallons of sanitizer, let it sit, the invert it over a bucket and let it drain out...when you flip the carboy, the 2.5 gallons is going to wet the top half of the carboy.

Back