Sanitizing brewing water without boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavyBoy49

Reaction score
Years ago, when I last did a bit of brewing, I used water from a local spring, straight into my FV! No boiling, no nothing, and never had a problem.
But now, many years later, I find that there is an almost fanatical focus on sanitizing everything.
My question relates to the actual water used for brewing.
My tap water is perfectly safe to drink, but I appreciate that doesnt mean it's completely free of bacteria that may jeopardize a clean brew.
I sanitize my eqpt in a solution of 1tsp of thin bleach and 1tsp of white vinegar, per gallon, as recommended as a viable alternative to Starsan, by the guy who markets......Starsan! This is a no rinse solution, so, my question is this......
If I made up this solution as my brewing water.... and then dechlorinated using the appropriate amount of Campden tablet, would that be ok?
I don't want to boil that amount of water,because of the cost.
I'm sure commercial breweries don't boil their brewing water for the same reason....or do they?

The act of boiling the wort sanitizes it, no need to boil it before it is used for mash or sparge.

Years ago, when I last did a bit of brewing, I used water from a local spring, straight into my FV! No boiling, no nothing, and never had a problem.
But now, many years later, I find that there is an almost fanatical focus on sanitizing everything.
My question relates to the actual water used for brewing.
My tap water is perfectly safe to drink, but I appreciate that doesnt mean it's completely free of bacteria that may jeopardize a clean brew.
I sanitize my eqpt in a solution of 1tsp of thin bleach and 1tsp of white vinegar, per gallon, as recommended as a viable alternative to Starsan, by the guy who markets......Starsan! This is a no rinse solution, so, my question is this......
If I made up this solution as my brewing water.... and then dechlorinated using the appropriate amount of Campden tablet, would that be ok?
I'm sure commercial breweries don't boil their brewing water for the same reason....or do they?

commercial breweries almost universally boil the full volume of wort as it goes into Fv...i.e. If they are doing a 5BBL batch they will be boiling 5BBL of beer. Energy cost are certainly a factor, but its a drop in the bucket compared to labor costs.

The act of boiling the wort sanitizes it, no need to boil it before it is used for mash or sparge.

I think OP is planning to do a partial boil where a concentrated wort is boiled then diluted to OG with cold water. In this case best practice dictates the "top off water" should be boiled and cooled, but I never did that when I brewed this way (way back when).

How are you heating/boiling? Generally speaking it shouldn't cost that much to boil, even larger volumes we work in with homebrewing....

Thanks for the speedy replies guys!
@broadbill, the kit I am going to use entails no boiling whatsoever! It comprises of a can of liquid extract which I stand in hot water until I can pour it into the FV.....thats it!:D

And I have a gas cooker.....

I may be wrong here, but doesn't the combination of chlorine bleach and vinegar create chlorine gas? I'd be very cautious of mixing those two substances...

I think your method will work. When I first started brewing extract, I used tap water to top off. Our water has chlorine in it, I would let it stand to evaporate the chlorine. I don't believe that caused any problems, but I had so many other problems as a novice that it is hard to be sure. Please post your results.

Cool. Didn't know. Thanks for the link, another sanitizer to add to my toolbox on brew day. :)

Thanks for the speedy replies guys!
@broadbill, the kit I am going to use entails no boiling whatsoever! It comprises of a can of liquid extract which I stand in hot water until I can pour it into the FV.....thats it!:D

And I have a gas cooker.....

Sounds good...and for your next batch try a plain DME with hops and steeped grains kit...you'll never go back to the cans!

Back