Sanitizer accident..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceball1

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I moved my Sierra Nevada PA clone into secondary for dry hopping.

This was the first time I used my better bottle for anything other than bottling, and so I goofed up a little and put my filled airlock on before I picked it up and moved it to fermenting storage. The bottle flexed a little, and it ended up sucking in about half - maybe a little more - of the sanitizer from the airlock into the beer.

I use the BrewVint Cleanitizer stuff that AHBS supplies. I don't figure that this is a problem, but I want to double check before I spend my evening bottling..

The first time I used StarSan I mis-read the instructions and put 1oz per gallon or 5X the correct amount. I used it like that for both my bottling and my new batch and everything came out fine even with the residual sanitizer in the bottles and such.

Yep, I'd never throw away a beer that you think "might" be ruined. Throw it into bottles and let it sit for a while. Try some after a month, if it still stinks, wait another month. There have been beers that were just horrible 1 month in the bottle that turned out pretty darn good after 4 - 5.

+1 To not throwing anything away.

It's a pain bottling something that might not be that great. You can sample a bit while bottling or thief some the day before. Sure it's flat, but you can tell if it's beyond saving, i.e. if it makes you gag. But I would still be inclined to bottle it and wait. That sanitizer is oxidizing, so hopefully you've got enough yeast in secondary to clean up that oxygen. I would think about using something else for sanitizing your bottles. Oxygen in the conditioning phase isn't good, but again the yeast might be able to clean it up in the bottle. But my understanding is that anytime yeast take up oxygen they produce esters.

+1 To not throwing anything away.

It's a pain bottling something that might not be that great. You can sample a bit while bottling or thief some the day before. Sure it's flat, but you can tell if it's beyond saving, i.e. if it makes you gag. But I would still be inclined to bottle it and wait. That sanitizer is oxidizing, so hopefully you've got enough yeast in secondary to clean up that oxygen. I would think about using something else for sanitizing your bottles. Oxygen in the conditioning phase isn't good, but again the yeast might be able to clean it up in the bottle. But my understanding is that anytime yeast take up oxygen they produce esters.

+1 on the oxy issue. Got me thinking.

I did this on my last two brews as well. No issues and I am not worried about it. I am pretty sure I leave more sanitizer then that in the better bottle when racking onto it. from the kettle.

I did this on my last two brews as well. No issues and I am not worried about it. I am pretty sure I leave more sanitizer then that in the better bottle when racking onto it. from the kettle.

Oxygen in your ferment is AWESOME. The more the merrier, to a point. There is such a thing as over oxygenation, but it's pretty hard to get that far. Yeast need oxygen to reproduce and during reproduction they produce esters.

Even in the bottles, it's not an issue, as long as the yeast are able to clean it up. If they are able to clean it up you'll get some ester production, not an issue in ales, but perhaps an issue in a super clean lager. If they can't clean it up, that's where it becomes an issue. Oxidized beer will get you dinged in competition. I have no idea how much this cleaner would contribute though, probably not an issue. But if it was me I would still switch sanitizers.

This is why i usually use high concentration ethanol or just 80 proof vodka in my air locks, any that gets sucks in will just supplement the beer :rockin:

Back