Sanitization question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
So just a question, my dishwasher has a sanitize setting on it. Anybody else has have this and would it be the same as using starsan?

Sure should work. Now, does it work to the exact degree that starsan does? Probably not. It may be better, it may be worse. But to call it a sanitize cycle, it had to be shown to reach a certain threshold of microbial destruction, the same threshold that starsan has to meet to be called a sanitizer. So anyways, should be fine. :p

I would go and just use the Starsan. Don't fear the foam! The dishwasher should be fine for bottles, but.. I have no idea if bottles are 'dishwasher safe' I would think they would be OK but I would be afraid of having one break and then my wife destroying me.

A dishwasher sanitize cycle will sanitize as well as or better than star san. The bottles will not break. However, i think the bottles will have to be cleaned out by hand because i dont think the dishwasher can get water up into the bottles. Also, if you use jet-dry it will kill your head. I used to use the dishwasher to buk sanitize but i got tired of waiting for it.

All good info guys, I just thought of it when I put a load into the dishwasher tonight no jet dry as it is a new washer and I have been lazy and haven't gone out to get any yet. I think gonna do both. The dishwasher first because they are not my bottles, my buddy that runs a bar have me a bunch of cases they were going to throw out

Back