Sand Filtration, fluidized bed/other

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok guys, I ran into this after looking for a simple aquarium filter to make for work. Got me thinking how easy it would be if it really would work. I am wondering if he is running the beer into the bottom and fluidizing the sand like a biofilter, or if he is running the beer through the top to the bottom just using the sand as a filtering medium? I'm just thinking about how easy this could be to clean in your oven and with a good rinse. What do you guys think? Worth further research and a possible experimental build, or what...? Let's discuss. I'm looking for insight from some of you aquarium guys as well for the work build. If I go fluidized, I'm building an inverted cone to help with non-sticking sand beds when powered off for a while. Hope you people have some good info either way.:mug:

IMHO, sand and fluidized bed aquarium filters would not work very well for beer. Both are designed primarily for biological filtration, which provides attachment sites for nitrifying bacteria to eat the nitrogen wastes that fish produce. Sand does provide some mechanical filtration, but I don't think it would remove very small particles. Diatomaceous earth (DME) is used as a mechanical filter to remove small particles, but in my experience it's horribly messy and difficult to work with. Sorry to be a downer on your idea.

Not a downer, just gaining information. I completely understand the nitrification cycle and how it works. I have used a larger version with pea gravel for my larger fish pond and aquaponic garden. My thoughts were to use this post boil more than anything, but due to how clean it gets aquariums, I thought it might work well with finished beer as well. After reading the ozzy's site, and seeing he uses DE, I was going to implement that in whatever I chose to do (if I chose to do it). They talk about bio-sludge removal in storm sewage via sand filtration so that peaked more interest, since one would infer bio-sludge might be a lot similar to trub/sediment as far as filtration would be concerned. I am glad you used the words mechanical filtration. I can now focus more research on accurate words. I am also writing the Oz that is in the link and hoping to get more inclusive information from him. Anyways, hope more people chime in on possibilities or doubts with information given. HCB, thanks for your input and as far as small particle removal... Graham Sanders says removal down to about 1 micron, which sounds pretty good to me. What is your thought on that? Thanks again. :)

Would sand filtration not remove the larger hop particles and break post-boil? Some of that stuff looks like the same size as fish water yuck, so I just wondered. Post fermentation is just another aspect of what I would hope to achieve.

Would sand filtration not remove the larger hop particles and break post-boil? Some of that stuff looks like the same size as fish water yuck, so I just wondered. Post fermentation is just another aspect of what I would hope to achieve.

Pool filter sand would remove that stuff, but removing that stuff before the fermenter doesn't really do anything that carefully racking out of the primary won't accomplish. It would also open up the possibility of contaminating your beer before it gets the protective EtOH boost.

It isn't mentioned in the article, but if you want to sterilize your filter media boil it in water for 10 minutes before adding to your column.

I would definitely sterilize the sand/DE before hand. What I am wanting is a rough filtration out of my kettle (cold break and what not). Having had numerous problems before with using strainers/hop bags/etc during my chill-and-recirculate back into the kettle to filter, I am looking to keep my Therminator as clean as I can. Nothing seems to work without shutting everything down and cleaning things out numerous times. Hop sack during the boil, great chill to promote as much break as possible, and then... the filter I don't have. Mainly, I am looking for pre-primary filtration for my lagers, as ales are no worry going into my fermenter with everything from the kettle. My dip tube is purposely centered in the middle of my kettle, so once figured out I can get all the gunk out while chilling.

As for the fermentation side of things, I am very careful transferring out of my primary. Under my circumstances, I would like the ability to filter inline going into my serving keg. I am carbonated before my beer leaves the primary, and I really don't want to use those cylinder type water filters if sand/DE would work. That is actually why I am asking these questions, because I am going to filter to get a great polish on my beers like Mike McDole talks about. I have never worried about my beer looking good before, only tasting good. But, now I am very interested in having a quick commercial looking product. Sand just looks too easy to sterilize in my pressure cooker prior to utilizing it. I just have lots I am interested in finding out lots more about. Keep it coming.

I've seen a few breweries that use DE filters, but most were for polishing out of the bright tanks rather than out of the kettle.

I just picked up a pleated ss filter and housing to use after my pump before my plate exchanger.

http://www.filterbag.com/SS-Pleated-Cartridge-26.html

I also picked up some of these bags to try
http://www.filterbag.com/Filter-Media-20.html
but haven't got anything rigged up to use them yet. Never got a straight answer on what micron trub and hop are so I went with a sampler pack with 5-500 to see what works best for a pre filter.

I would definitely sterilize the sand/DE before hand. What I am wanting is a rough filtration out of my kettle (cold break and what not). Having had numerous problems before with using strainers/hop bags/etc during my chill-and-recirculate back into the kettle to filter, I am looking to keep my Therminator as clean as I can. Nothing seems to work without shutting everything down and cleaning things out numerous times. Hop sack during the boil, great chill to promote as much break as possible, and then... the filter I don't have. Mainly, I am looking for pre-primary filtration for my lagers, as ales are no worry going into my fermenter with everything from the kettle. My dip tube is purposely centered in the middle of my kettle, so once figured out I can get all the gunk out while chilling.

It seems we a treading the same path here in some ways. I know you use pressurized fermentation and that you make lagers. I don't pressure ferment, but am having many problems with keeping the plates clean using the methods you have described above. Having a swimming pool, and observing the perfect clarity of the water from the sand filter, I got the hairbrained notion that a sand filter just might be the answer. So i ordered some stainless pipe 2.5 in by four ft. Now i'm trying to get the thing together. I have the tools etc and skills to build the thing, but haven't settled the design yet. It will just have to be experimenting at this stage.

As for the fermentation side of things, I am very careful transferring out of my primary. Under my circumstances, I would like the ability to filter inline going into my serving keg. I am carbonated before my beer leaves the primary, and I really don't want to use those cylinder type water filters if sand/DE would work. That is actually why I am asking these questions, because I am going to filter to get a great polish on my beers like Mike McDole talks about. I have never worried about my beer looking good before, only tasting good. But, now I am very interested in having a quick commercial looking product. Sand just looks too easy to sterilize in my pressure cooker prior to utilizing it. I just have lots I am interested in finding out lots more about. Keep it coming.

Sorry, no input here because i filter from secondary to serving keg using the standard 1 micron filter element and then pressure carb. Thanks for the link, and good luck. subscribed

sudbuster said:
It seems we a treading the same path here in some ways. I know you use pressurized fermentation and that you make lagers. I don't pressure ferment, but am having many problems with keeping the plates clean using the methods you have described above. Having a swimming pool, and observing the perfect clarity of the water from the sand filter, I got the hairbrained notion that a sand filter just might be the answer. So i ordered some stainless pipe 2.5 in by four ft. Now i'm trying to get the thing together. I have the tools etc and skills to build the thing, but haven't settled the design yet. It will just have to be experimenting at this stage.
Let me know when you do settle on a design and start using it. I can't stand not knowing information when I really really want to, lol. I was thinking of using one of those stainless canisters with the lock down lids, if they can hold up to the initial higher temperatures and the pressure. Maybe cpvc I don't know? Otherwise, I am still thinking up other possibles for the sand filter housing. Is the pipe you ordered threaded? Did you also buy end caps if it is threaded?

sudbuster said:
Sorry, no input here because i filter from secondary to serving keg using the standard 1 micron filter element and then pressure carb. Thanks for the link, and good luck. subscribed
Still curious if I can filter my carbonated beer if it is filtered under higher pressure during the transfer/filtering to my serving keg?

Back