Sanatizing / Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar121

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a quick tip. I just finished transferring a Munich dark lager to secondary which I cleaned and sanitized with starsan (greatest product ever!) everything went well and it's siting happily in a dark room doing its thing. I was cleaning my primary as I had a huge blow off. I was washing the lid and was just about to put it away the. I remembered that the pressure was so big in the pail that Co2 was escaping from under the lid. I thought to myself I wonder if any crud got under the seal. I pulled it out and sure enough there was a ton of crap in there. I cleaned it out and decided to make this a standard part of my clean up. I would have never thought to check there had I not had the blow off. So I guess the moral is no matter how good you think you clean something always double check yourself. Hope this helps others in their adventures in home brewing.

. So I guess the moral is no matter how good you think you clean something always double check yourself. Hope this helps others in their adventures in home brewing.

Thanks....I would have never thought of checking under the seal.. between this thread and another discussing bucket seal issues.... I think I'll go to a 6.5 gal carboy for primary soon..

Batch 6 went in a 6.5 bucket today....... and while I cleaned it, then used Starsan..... I did not remove the seal :(

Already using 5 gal for secondary.... Just need to make sure two 6.5's will fit in my ferm chamber.

Learn something everytime I log in here. :mug:

Good point. My bucket lid removal tool has a lil lick on the end that looks like it'd be good for prying the lid seals out. Might just give it a look myself. Good point.:mug:

Latest posts

Back