San Star v one step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know one step is not a sanitizer, but it is all I use for my fermenter, plate chiller, hoses, and kegs. I have never had a contamination problem. I pour about a half gallon of boiling water in the kegs to loosen all the gunk, then add a gallon of one step, seal, shake, wait 10 minutes, and then run it through the tap.

Lots of people use One Step as a "sanitizer" (It's not). I did when I first started. If you have a batch where you're trying to nail down an off flavor, the first thing you look at is where you cut corners. That's why I use Star San, it narrows down the suspects should something go wrong and gives me peace of mind.

Lots of people use One Step as a "sanitizer" (It's not). I did when I first started. If you have a batch where you're trying to nail down an off flavor, the first thing you look at is where you cut corners. That's why I use Star San, it narrows down the suspects should something go wrong and gives me peace of mind.

+1. klyph is right. Thought I'd post since you seemed convinced to use only one step. Off flavors suck, don't chance it. One Step isn't going to sanitize like star san will.

Thanks guys i will get some one step and give that a go.
Dean

Forget wasting money on that, get a cheap generic oxyclean type cleanser at your local dollar store, it's 10,000 times better as a cleanser for brewing stuff. You can get labels off bottles and thick gunk in your fermenters.

That and hot water is all you need to clean. Starsan is all you need to sanitize (unless you prefer iodophor)

Back