San Francisco starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm making a starter for a Cali Common and I'm wondering can I ferment at room temp or do I need to ferment at 62 degrees, the temp called for on the final recipe?

Not sure if the yeast or the beer I don't decant will pick up off flavors in the new wort.

I have made a lot of starters with the wlp810 San Francisco lager yeast and all have been room temp plus whatever it is on the top of my fridge.

Cali commons are awesome.

I have made a lot of starters with the wlp810 San Francisco lager yeast and all have been room temp plus whatever it is on the top of my fridge.

Cali commons are awesome.

More or less the same here. I set this on my stir plate in my basement, ambient is about 65 degrees more or less. If there are any off flavors produced from the starter, if you crash and decant you'll pour most of them out.

I ferment the beer (not the starter) in a ferm chamber at 65 degrees. If I did it at ambient w/o control the exothermic reaction of the yeast would raise the temp to 70-75 degrees.

And I agree, Cali Commons are awesome. But you knew that since I'm brewing the recipe you gave me. :)

Latest posts

Back