San Francisco lager yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
Anyone had good results with this yeast at lager temps? It was the only liquid yeast my LHBS had and I'm suspect after reading mixed reviews, I'm making a Vienna lager. Thanks!

I had read several reviews that were very positive on this yeast for a lager fermented in the mid 50s and a large starter is used. I cannot comment on the use of this for a Vienna lager though because I have not used it for that style.

I really am just looking for a crisp
Lager flavor, I'm not interested in a steam beer. I've already make a 2 L starter, I will give it a shot and hope for the best, thanks!

I would do more than a 2L starter. I don't know your planned OG of this Vienna Lager, but you should be needing more around 300-400 billion cells for that.

You'll get 200 max from a 2L and about 300 max if you crash that starter and decant off the spent wort and put a fresh 2L of starter wort on that.

What was the best by date on the yeast? try using www.mrmalty.com

The crispness found in most lagers is due the fact that lager yeast strains ferment maltotriose and melibiose. All fermenting cold does is suppress ester and sulfur production. San Francisco lager is a lager strain that can ferment at higher temperatures without producing unpalatable levels of sulfur and esters. I just found another lager yeast strain that can ferment at higher than normal temperatures.

Latest posts

Back