Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout PM Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olliesmith

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's coming on winter time in New Zealand and I'm looking to brew my first oatmeal stout.

I've become a little obsessed with the style after trying Samuel Smith's version, so I've made up a recipe based some of the literature out there (mainly Jamil's recipe from 'Brewing Classic Styles').

I should add that I'm not so bothered about brewing a perfect clone, rather I'd just like a to make a smooth, rich, not too dry but not sweet either oatmeal stout.

So, the recipe:

2 lbs Marris Otter
1 1/2 lbs Instant Oats, toasted for 75mins at 325 F- stored in paper bag 1 week
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt 330L
3/4 lb Victory Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 80L
5.4 lbs Breiss DME, mix of golden light and dark in the ratio of 3:1
2 oz EKG (4.25%) at 60

I plan to do a partial mash at 153F for an hour, adding the dark malts in the last 20mins (so no astringency creeps in). Also fermenting with WLP 005 (big starter) at 68F.

I've used 1.5lbs of oats instead of the usual 1lb because I really would like to emphasize smoothness. The mad fermentationist used a lot of oats and it seemed to work for him. I tried lost coast 8 ball stout the other week and I found it fizzy and watery, which is what I want to avoid.

Any critique would be appreciated. :mug:

Back