Samuel Adams Noble Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally picked up a six-pack the other night and, to style or not, I like it. I love the aroma. (sazz???)

I don't find it particularly bitter, but it does have quite a bit of hop character. It pairs great with Frito-Lay's bean dip. :)

If this isn't a good representation of a pilsner, then which would be considered good commercial examples?

I tried this on tap at a local restaurant and I was extremely disappointed. It tasted of corn but did have a decent smell. It really didn't have any head or lacing and tasted like a cheap commercial brew. Disappointing because Sam Adams generally makes some pretty nice stuff.

I tried this on tap at a local restaurant and I was extremely disappointed. It tasted of corn but did have a decent smell. It really didn't have any head or lacing and tasted like a cheap commercial brew. Disappointing because Sam Adams generally makes some pretty nice stuff.

Just a guess but I'd say the restaurant screwed up the tap. The head and lacing on this beer is massive, on tap and from the bottle. Definitely no corn!

Just a guess but I'd say the restaurant screwed up the tap. The head and lacing on this beer is massive, on tap and from the bottle. Definitely no corn!

+1 ... I'd ask them to clean their lines and try it again. :)

I picked up some last night on sale for the game. I must say, a mighty fine beer. I'll add this to my beer that both BMC and craft drinkers will enjoy list.

Wow! Tried it today and it officially one of my fav brews, defineqtley my fav sam Adams.

Wow! Tried it today and it officially one of my fav brews, defineqtley my fav sam Adams.

for sure my favorite sam adams beer!

I for some reason tend to hate on SA, but this one has really changed my opinion...

very well done.

Tried today for the first time...and I'm impressed. Might have to start an email campaign to get this all year instead of seasonal.

I just had this in the bottle the other day and it was much better than it was on tap. You might be right about the tap. The aroma was fantastic and it had a much better flavor.

Just managed to get some at the local Red Robin. Was fantastic. I'm impressed, and I'm not usually a pilsener drinker.

I had this the other day on draft, it had the most explosive hop taste
I can ever remember other than my own home brews. To me it tasted
like SA Lager multiplied by 10. The same day I picked up a sixer, it
was totally different. I guess it's a good example of how hop aroma
and flavor can decrease with time. The keg must have been super
fresh. The bottled version tasted sort of like Sierra Nevada. It has
more the characteristics of an ale to me. I've had pils like Dinkel
Acker on draft in Germany, its a totally different style, just a hard
bitterness with not much aroma. I assume SA did a huge late hop
addition based on the hop burn in the draft version.

Ray

I got some of these in the Brewmaster's Collection case. I think it's a great beer, but heavy on the hop flavor and light on the maltiness. Perhaps this is just my personal preference. I like my Pilsners with a little more pronounced maltiness. I wonder if the base malt was Pilsener malt or Am. 2-row. Still a nice beer that I would buy again.

I had it on tap at a local bar. I'm not really into pilsner, but this just wasn't good at all. There was something definitely a little off. I'll blame it on the lines and try to pick up a bottle somewhere.

I must say this is one fantastic beer. It is probably at the high side of allowed IBUs but it is very drinkable and enjoyable.
I found no diacetyl or "grassiness" as some have. I am hoping someone clones it as I'd like to have it on draft in my kegerator.

Not really a Pils or Lager drinker anymore. Found the first few sips to be good and was looking forward to more. Eventually the floral hoppy-ness got the better of my taste buds and I forced myself to finish it off. Much prefer a malty low hopped lager (Helles) and a hoppy ale.

Had to go against the crowd on this one.

My wife has recently discovered how much she likes a good Pilsner so we picked up a sixer of this tonight. My first notes are a very light citrus aroma, so light that I didn't pick up on it until a few drinks into the glass. Nice spicy/floral hop flavor up front and finishes with a good pilsner malt flavor that leaves a bready aftertaste in my mouth. Overall not a bad Pils, but I think it would be a better summer beer then a spring seasonal. We don't do much lawnmowing during the spring here in the Northwest.

I just picked up a 6er at walmart. Im not much of a pils or SA fan, but I thought this was excellent. Right from the first smell to the last drink I was hit in the face with heavy grapefruit. I havent tasted hops in a beer like this before.... very unique IMO.

I have heard from two additional people that aren't even homebrewers that they had this on draft "somewhere" and it was "funky tasting"... but in the same breath the bottled version is "awesome", and "one of their favorite beers".

Something tells me there's something especially volatile in this beer that casual craft bars aren't cleaning diligently enough to avoid... it's just becoming a too-common complaint about this particular beer, IMO...

Had this friday on draft at a local bar (suprised they had it on tap). LOVED IT! For a novice like me it was nice to be able to really pick up on the citrusy notes.

I've had it in bottles and on draft and loved both of them. Tasted the same to me.

I just tried this beer. I am not a big Sam Adams fan and I have never had a pilsner that I liked, until now.

Very good beer. Nicely balanced.

There was a touch of flavor in it that I noticed that I refer to as "Heineken funk". Heineken and St Pauly Girl are two beers that I just can't seem to enjoy. I've heard that it has a lot to do with light getting to the beer and skunking the hops, and since this is pretty hoppy, I could see that coming in to play a lot.

Midway through a 12 pack and I'd have to say it's my Favorite SA. Very clean - more hops flavor than I encountered in 3 years in Germany, but I never have cared about "style".

This is a great beer and I hope it will turn more people onto more of the other Sam Adams family of brews like Black Lager, Cream Stout, Holiday Porter, Boston Ale, Irish Red. These are all good beers. I undersand if you are not from the Northeast you might not be able to get all of the brews but they have some good ones out there.

I picked up a six pack of this a week or two ago and I was not impressed. I am pretty sure that pilsners are just not my style. The beer seemed to have a very strong metalic taste to it that made it difficult to finish. I will probably never purchase this again.

I have heard from two additional people that aren't even homebrewers that they had this on draft "somewhere" and it was "funky tasting"... but in the same breath the bottled version is "awesome", and "one of their favorite beers".

Something tells me there's something especially volatile in this beer that casual craft bars aren't cleaning diligently enough to avoid... it's just becoming a too-common complaint about this particular beer, IMO...

Actually, I've had it many times now and I think I've found out why some people get an "off" flavor/aroma. It turns out that this beer has to be served at an ideal temperature. Too cold, and it smells/tastes off. Too warm, same thing. I've tried experiments drinking this beer at different temperatures, and I can attest to the differences.

Finally got to try this. I loved it. First 22oz was good, the second was even better.:cross:

I bought a sampler just to get the Noble Pils and Coastal Wheat. The Pils is the beer of the two by far.

In my current state of hop overdose, I was a little disapointed.

I shall continue my hop fasting and try it again in 3 months or so.

Back