Sample different hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob6239

Reaction score
I remember reading about a method to try out hops - take a pretty plain, clean beer and drop some pellets in a small cup or glass.

Was curious if anyone has tried this with any success. Tried searching and there is just too much information out there to filter through and no results I could find.

Curious on how much aroma or taste you could get out of it, and how many pellets to how small a beer sample?

I got a sixer of redstripe, uncapped, dropped in a few pellets, recapped, and let them sit for a week (basically dry hopping on a very small scale). It worked really well and gave me a good idea of the characteristics of each individual hop. Not very scientific but it worked pretty well.

I got a sixer of redstripe, uncapped, dropped in a few pellets, recapped, and let them sit for a week (basically dry hopping on a very small scale). It worked really well and gave me a good idea of the characteristics of each individual hop. Not very scientific but it worked pretty well.

Did the same thing for a club project with a case of Bud light, and once again at home with some blonde ale. It doesn't give you a complete picture of the hop, but does put you in the ballpark. I'd definitely recommend trying it

I tried it once and it tasted bitter grassy and nasty without the hop flavor I was trying to get...maybe I did it wrong

I had thought I could pour smaller samples into cups and drop two or three pellets in and drink in a few minutes. But I guess it isn't that easy?

this doesn't work with pellets only whole flowers, I fill a french press about 2/3 full and add whole hops then push down half way and let steep for 15 min. (can be put in an ice bath)then push all the way down ,pour and enjoy. This is a great way to taste your home grown hops to figure out where in the boil to add them.

Back