Same MLT for 3gal and 10gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloescher

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my pots and I wanted to see if there was an optimum MLT size to be able to do both 10gal and 3gal batches? I was thinking about a 50 or 60qt pot, but I was worried it might be too big for the smaller batch.

I'm not so worried about the HLT, since it's just water and I can just use a 60qt for that one.

I'm also not worried about the brew pot since I already have a 7.5 gal pot I can use for the smaller batches, and I don't mind getting another 60qt or so for the 10gal. It's easy to switch that pot if needed.

I don't want to have multiple MLT's, since I have to then have to worry about changing false bottoms, etc. I would really like to see if there is an optimum size for both 10gal and 3 gal. Not sure if there is such a thing, or if the grain bed would be too shallow for a small batch.

I'm trying to do more test batches with 3gal, and since the yeast is already slanted, it's really just a less product for the time issue.

Thanks for any help.

the biggest problem with a small mash in a big tun is headspace - which means a loss of heat.( unless you are using a RIMS or HERMS then it doesn't really matter.

need more specifics on your system to give better advice.

Ian

Sorry about that. I knew I forgot to mention something.

Yes, it is a HERMS system. My current one is, but it's a small one, and the pot sizes just don't work anymore, so I'd like to upgrade.

I'm more than happy and feel pretty comfortable with making modifications to pots, so I'm not really scared off by anything like that.

My biggest concern with a larger pot for a small batch was the grain bed depth. Is there some depth that is "too small"? Any issues with sparging on a shallow grain bed? (I typically do fly now. (I'm not very good at it yet, but I try.)

Hope that helps.

Back