Sam Adams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCore

Reaction score
For a pretty commercial brew.. I am still sooooo happy with this damn beer every time I have it. I usually drink local San Diego Craft Brews and I occasionally go for something else. Sam Adams Boston Lager (among others) to me is a good big brew beeer. Sorry mid day needed a couple beers and my homebrews arent cold yet thought id ramble..

SA makes some really really good brews...they also brew some pretty nasty stuff, like their Robitussin Wheat, and Imperial Pils. They just need to stop with the cutesy marketing ploys and concentrate on brewing tasty beers...IMHO of course.

When I first started brewing, my goal was to make a beer as good as Sam Adam's Boston Lager. Good stuff.

Sam Adams is a company that defined and then redefined the craft beer industry (literally! they got the BBLs/year increased so they could stay a craft brewery). I much prefer Boston Lager from a keg, the bottled stuff loses so much of the hops :(

Kind of OT but in their new ad about dry hopping, it shows an illustration of one of their fermenters half full of hops, considering how 2oz looks in a carboy, I think that's grossly exaggerated :). Boston Lager is a great beer though

Kind of OT but in their new ad about dry hopping, it shows an illustration of one of their fermenters half full of hops, considering how 2oz looks in a carboy, I think that's grossly exaggerated :). Boston Lager is a great beer though

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that commercial. but if they just put a little people who don't know anything about beer might not see what they were talking about. I do like the beer though.

^^^ The Summer Ale is actually pretty tasty...tho I'm hard pressed to detect even the slightest amount of spiciness that they claim should be there. :(

I like the Boston Lager on tap... and thats about it...

... except the beer in bottles comes with free bottles, if you are a new brewer and need good bottles. I drank the heck out of Sam Adam's in April thru July 2007.

^^^ The Summer Ale is actually pretty tasty...tho I'm hard pressed to detect even the slightest amount of spiciness that they claim should be there. :(

same here, it's a good beer even though I don't taste the spice.

I love there cream stout it is awesome

also I like this beer.

Sam has a lot of really good middle of the road beers that I know will be good. I just had a noble pils at the bar and now I'm at home having the latitude 48 ipa, ( funny because I haven't had a Sam in several months, now I've had several). other than the cherry wheat, I think they're all pretty good.

rycov said:
same here, it's a good beer even though I don't taste the spice.

also I like this beer.

Sam has a lot of really good middle of the road beers that I know will be good. I just had a noble pils at the bar and now I'm at home having the latitude 48 ipa, ( funny because I haven't had a Sam in several months, now I've had several). other than the cherry wheat, I think they're all pretty good.

You forgot the cranberry lambic. I'd rather drink rams piss. Oy.

Sam Adams definitely brews several beers that are very drinkable. They are definitely my goto when I feel the need to stock up, and I always reuse the bottles :)

Here in Okinawa Sam Adams is one of the few "craft" beers that the PX sells. I love Winter Lager and Noble Pils. For some reason Boston Lager just doesn't do it for me.

My GF works at a chain restaurant. I'll go in to visit a few times a month and have a beer. By policy, they only keep one craft seasonal brew on tap and they always get Bell's. Wintertime varies as to what they keep, but when summertime comes around, they always get Oberon. I know they do it to keep the masses happy, but I feel like I'm the only person around here who doesn't care for it. I'll drink it, but I'd rather have other things. So that's when I turn to SA Boston Lager. Doesn't matter what the season, or what food I'm having with it, I think it's a damn good beer.

There's a lot of boston lager lovers here, I personally can't stand the stuff. I'm thinking about buying done and pounding through it for the bottles though.

The Chocolate Bock is literally one of my favorite beers. Between that and Optimator, I spend a lot of the winter with a buzz on!

Sam Adams does put out a lot of beers that I'm happy to see disapear, although since they are rarely "over-the-top", ala Dogfishead, I can usually drink them.

Boston Lager, on tap, is amazing and I hope it never changes. I like that fact that it can be found anywhere and when the rest of the selection sucks, I almost always have a Boston Lager to save the day, especially at chain places.

just got back from dinner, they didn't have much of a selection so I went with the Boston lager.

I like most of the Sam Adams beers i've tried. The Cream Stout is probably my favorite. Boston Lager is typically my go to at restaurants that don't have a very good selection.

jmendez29 said:
My GF works at a chain restaurant. I'll go in to visit a few times a month and have a beer. By policy, they only keep one craft seasonal brew on tap and they always get Bell's. Wintertime varies as to what they keep, but when summertime comes around, they always get Oberon. I know they do it to keep the masses happy, but I feel like I'm the only person around here who doesn't care for it. I'll drink it, but I'd rather have other things. So that's when I turn to SA Boston Lager. Doesn't matter what the season, or what food I'm having with it, I think it's a damn good beer.

Oh man Oberon is great and a classic craft brew. I have never been impressed by SA but I haven't really tried everything. They just are never at the top of the list for me. I really don't think they try too hard to cater to the super nerds tho. Utopias aside. They more bridge a gap between BMC and nerdy craft breweries. I have a lot of respect even if I don't drink a ton of their beers.

It seems like the boston lager has gone down hill in a hurry, say over the past year to me. It used to be a malt forward beer with ever present hops but now it is just a slightly more flavorful bmc

bubbachunk said:
It seems like the boston lager has gone down hill in a hurry, say over the past year to me. It used to be a malt forward beer with ever present hops but now it is just a slightly more flavorful bmc

I agree exactly. I thought maybe it was cause I started drinking a lot more craftbrew the last year though. Maybe it really does suck now.

I was about to laugh too ;)

You hinted to the reason though: if someone is just crossing over, and sees Boston Lager as their "stepping stone" beer, once they get full-on into craft beer it is easy to think that Boston Lager tastes different.

There has definitely not been a change to that beer in years. BUT, it is one of those beers that tastes totally different from a bottle than it does on tap (it's always been that way).

I think that is like when I had my first Sierra Nevada PA and the bitterness was like woah. Few 1000 IPAs later the stuff tastes like water ha!

I just love watching their new seasonal commercials. One of these days I'm going to splice them all together so we can all watch the slow progression of Bob Cannon's beard.

Back