Sam Adams Oktoberfest clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering if anybody had a good clone for SA Octoberfest. It's hands down my favorite Octoberfest and I'm looking to make my first AG brew similar to this. I pulled this info from the website:

Malt Type: Two-row Harrington, and Metcalfe, pale malts, Munich-10, Moravian, and Caramel 60
Hop Variety: Tettnang Tettnanger and Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble hops

I'm just getting into AG, but I really would like to make something similar to this. Any help would be great.
Thanks!

Make something better. Instead of coloring and flavoring domestic pale malt base with crystal malts and a smattering of Munich use German Vienna, Munich and Pilsner malts. To make it real simple just use 1/3 of each for your grist bill and shoot for an OG of 1.055 or a little more. You could mix the Tett and Mittlefrau together and do two additions, one at full boil and a second at 30/20 minutes from the end targeting IBUs in the 25-28 range.

I know SA uses a late boil hop addition that is not normal for the style. I dig it too, but I wouldn't get caught up trying to 'clone' the beer or anything since you're not SA and there are many factors limiting you more than they. So in typical homebrew fashion, I say celebrate that fact and think about the qualities you like in the beer and try and replicate that. It may take a batch or two, but you'll probably like your homebrew more eventually.

True. I guess what I should have said was I wanted something close to SA, but still mine. I really dig the malt profile of that particular beer. I'm shooting to make a stronger, maltier, octoberfest lager. I was actually thinking 2/4 Munich Malts, 1/4 Vienna Malts, and 1/4 Pilsner malts for the grist bill. Thanks everyone!

Back