Sam Adams Longshot Homebrew 6 Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I NEVER go into the liquor store, let alone on a Monday evening after work. It was pure serendipity. I needed a couple of items at the grocery store and the liquor store was right next door. I figured I would go in and look at the beer selection, and was quite ready to walk out empty handed if I wasn't impressed.

The first thing to catch my eye was a six pack of Sam Adams Longshot American Homebrewer's Contest Winners 2006 six pack. I had to get it. It's chilling in my fridge now and has two bottles each of Boysenberry Wheat, Dortmunder Export, and Old Ale.

The clerk told me they just got them in today. Talk about serendipity.:mug:

Decided to crack open the Boysenberry Wheat. It's okay. Light, cloudy, but with no trace of sediment in the bottle (and I poured carefully.)

It has a strong scent of boysenberry and an immediate bitterness as soon as you taste it, which finishes with the fruitiness at the end.

Not my favorite style of beer, but a nice drink nonetheless.

My Dad's friend, Bruce Stott was one of the winners. His is the Dortmunder Export. I've only had his beer once, when visiting, but his stuff is DAMN good.
-Ben

I got this six pack the other day. I have only tried the old ale and it was outstanding. Malty as hell and ful of wonderful fruity esters. At 10% ABV the alcohol is remarkably well hidden. I can't wait to try the other two beers.

Drinking the boysenberry wheat right now....it is ok I guess. Tastes fake to me.
SWMBO would like it.

I am concerned though...is this the future of beer? Is this really what people want?

Dude said:
Drinking the boysenberry wheat right now....it is ok I guess. Tastes fake to me.
SWMBO would like it.

I am concerned though...is this the future of beer? Is this really what people want?

Did you listen to the interview with the recipe creator on Basic Brewing Radio? Not all that impressive... :D

As to the bigger question; I'm going to give SA a pass on this, because the old ale also won. I personally think that it was intentional, but it's still kinda cool that they are basically re-introducing a classic style to people (and it sounds like it is a reasonably authentic take on an old ale, I haven't tried it yet myself). So, if they bring out a fruited wheat (and Sammy is not the first to do so, although it is a newer style), but also bring back a very traditional style - it kinda averages out.

James Spencer interviewed the guy, they talked about the contest, his background, his recipe... it's really *not* much of a recipe, and it sounds like this guy has only brewed less than 10 times in his life (once a year, literally). Just a little underwhelmed that his recipe was deemed to be "The Best" among the employees... I mean, literally - wheat extract, two small additions of Hallertau, hefe yeast, and boysenberry extract. That's it.

Simplicity is NICE, but... :D

(is my jealousy that obvious?)

EDIT: Here's the link... http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-08-07.mp3

I want to try them, damn it. By the time they are supposed to get over here you all will have drank them up.

the_bird said:
James Spencer interviewed the guy, they talked about the contest, his background, his recipe... it's really *not* much of a recipe, and it sounds like this guy has only brewed less than 10 times in his life (once a year, literally). Just a little underwhelmed that his recipe was deemed to be "The Best" among the employees... I mean, literally - wheat extract, two small additions of Hallertau, hefe yeast, and boysenberry extract. That's it.

Simplicity is NICE, but... :D

(is my jealousy that obvious?)

EDIT: Here's the link... http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-08-07.mp3

Geez, that's a recipe I'd be willing to lose for $5000.

Dude said:
SWMBO would like it.

:off:

Look at many of the recipe forums/threads online and it seems to me that brewing fruity and candylike beers is a pretty popular thing with homebrewers too.

Take the peanut butter chocolate stout recipe in the current BYO....I am sure some folks are really into that kind of thing but as a beverage, that just doesn't appeal to me.

SkaBoneBenny said:
My Dad's friend, Bruce Stott was one of the winners. His is the Dortmunder Export. I've only had his beer once, when visiting, but his stuff is DAMN good.
-Ben
The Dortmunder is my favorite of the pack... if SA made this year round it would be my go-to beer

Back