Sam Adams Lager Clone w/ Wyeast Cal. Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashola

Reaction score
I don't have a lagering setup, but I thought I'd take advantage of our cool temps to do an almost-lager using the ingredients listed in Northern Brewers John Q. Adams recipe. The recipe uses Wyeast California Lager yeast and purports to obtain lager-like results fermenting at lower ale temps. My crawl space under my house has been a very consistent 57 degrees and it shouldn't fluctuate much more than that over the next couple of months.

Anyone ever tried this? Thanks.

Sounds good, but I'm imagining the result will end up tasting a lot more like Anchor Steam than Sam Adams.

Back with a review. I brewed Northern Brewer Sam Adams clone recipe using the California Lager yeast. I'm very happy with the results. It was my first all-grain attempt and I had some early issues with temp control in the mash, so it's a tad sweeter than Sam Adams -- but not decidedly so. I fermented in my crawl space where it was about 55-57 degrees and the results were a very clear and very clean beer. In fact, this was easily the clearest beer that I've ever transferred from primary to secondary. And the result is a nice, enjoyable clone that closely resembles the real thing.

Back