SAKE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDogsRump

MOMO BREWING
Reaction score
Could we get a dedicated Sake sub-forum made? Trying to find the threads on Sake in the wine section (it has a lot more in common with beer than wine) is a real pain.

The Winemaking forum has a lot of threads dedicated to Sake - But I agree a dedicated Sake Forum would be nice.

What is a good sake to try? The few I have tried have tasted like arm pit sweat. Soju is where it is at! :rock:

This one is really good. Don't look for a blue bottle, it comes in a beige box.

Many sake are fortified after fermentation with additional ethyl alcohol. This isn't a bad thing, but as an enthusiast you might want a "junmai", or pure rice, sake. It's done the old way. Think of it as the German Reinheitsgebot , just the rice water and yeast.. The "daiginjo" means (I think) that the rice was polished - much of the outside of the rice was worn away to expose the delicious interior for fermention, not unlike our milling of barley.

The reason it comes in a 720ml instead of the standard 750 ml has to do with the Japanese standard for a sake standard, which is to fill a masu, which is a small square box cup (odd I know) that is about 6 ounces (180ml). A sake bottle will fill 4 of those - 180*4 = 720.

I just drank one of these this weekend. I wish I could share a pic of the box but, alas, it is gone.

HAKUTSURU JUNMAI DAIGINJO SHO UNE SAKE
720ML

1618359669291.png

What is a good sake to try? The few I have tried have tasted like arm pit sweat. Soju is where it is at! :rock:

Almost any Daiginjo will be fantastic, but they are pricey.
Some great Ginjos that I feel are fairly easy to find at a good liqour store are Masumi Shiro (light, floral, and refreshing) and Masumi Kuro (richer, more complex, umami, but still floral).

I don't find anything out of the USA particularly good (and the stuff in Canada is terrible). There's some fairly decent ones, but none that are great--probably because of the rice they use on this side of the Pacific.

A masu. Somewhere in japan, I drank sake from this.
View attachment 725690

there are so many questions i have about that picture.....none of them have to do with the wooden box......

but i would say i'd love to master koji mold brewing. just in case they try sterilizing barley so i can't malt it....i could grow mold on it instead!

I was thinking of making Sake and thought there was a subforum already, would be nice to have one :mischievous:

i think it's generaly considered wine...

and i'll update this with some off-topic...stuff, i wish i knew comparing a refrac to a hydro would tell me ABV, being that in sake brewing you add many additions of more steamed rice and koji, i would have been able to tell how well it was doing during the proccess....

i think it's generaly considered wine...

and i'll update this with some off-topic...stuff, i wish i knew comparing a refrac to a hydro would tell me ABV, being that in sake brewing you add many additions of more steamed rice and koji, i would have been able to tell how well it was doing during the proccess....

I guess its rice wine? Would be nice to have it all in one section though.

I guess its rice wine? Would be nice to have it all in one section though.

and one for people's effec trouble with BIG beers too! ;) :mug: (but then we'd have dubbel, nay, trippel, the topics? lol)

edit: i think the powers that be are trying to keep it condensed...being they just combined for sale & wanted, into "looking for a hook up for something?"

edit 2: i just don't think there's that much interest in it...like if i got my own "Malting Barley" sub forum....

Last edited:
As someone interested in dabbling in rice wine, I see value in there being a dedicated sub-forum. While the search functionality on this forum is pretty great, being able to set the scope to Rice Wine / Sake would help eliminate a lot of potential false positives. Guess we'll have to see what the powers that be choose to do! 🤷‍♂️

Back