SAKE

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TheDogsRump

MOMO BREWING
Reaction score
Could we get a dedicated Sake sub-forum made? Trying to find the threads on Sake in the wine section (it has a lot more in common with beer than wine) is a real pain.

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Winemaking forum has a lot of threads dedicated to Sake - But I agree a dedicated Sake Forum would be nice.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
Reaction score
What is a good sake to try? The few I have tried have tasted like arm pit sweat. Soju is where it is at! :rock:

Reaction score
What is a good sake to try? The few I have tried have tasted like arm pit sweat. Soju is where it is at! :rock:
This one is really good. Don't look for a blue bottle, it comes in a beige box.

Many sake are fortified after fermentation with additional ethyl alcohol. This isn't a bad thing, but as an enthusiast you might want a "junmai", or pure rice, sake. It's done the old way. Think of it as the German Reinheitsgebot , just the rice water and yeast.. The "daiginjo" means (I think) that the rice was polished - much of the outside of the rice was worn away to expose the delicious interior for fermention, not unlike our milling of barley.

The reason it comes in a 720ml instead of the standard 750 ml has to do with the Japanese standard for a sake standard, which is to fill a masu, which is a small square box cup (odd I know) that is about 6 ounces (180ml). A sake bottle will fill 4 of those - 180*4 = 720.

I just drank one of these this weekend. I wish I could share a pic of the box but, alas, it is gone.

HAKUTSURU JUNMAI DAIGINJO SHO UNE SAKE
720ML

1618359669291.png

OP
TheDogsRump

TheDogsRump

MOMO BREWING
Reaction score
Almost any Daiginjo will be fantastic, but they are pricey.
Some great Ginjos that I feel are fairly easy to find at a good liqour store are Masumi Shiro (light, floral, and refreshing) and Masumi Kuro (richer, more complex, umami, but still floral).

I don't find anything out of the USA particularly good (and the stuff in Canada is terrible). There's some fairly decent ones, but none that are great--probably because of the rice they use on this side of the Pacific.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A masu. Somewhere in japan, I drank sake from this.
View attachment 725690

there are so many questions i have about that picture.....none of them have to do with the wooden box......

but i would say i'd love to master koji mold brewing. just in case they try sterilizing barley so i can't malt it....i could grow mold on it instead!