Saison split batch - Brett questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrogantDusty

Reaction score
6 months ago, I made a wonderful saison that was completely fermented with Brett (5526) and bottle dregs from a few sours. It's not only my favorite beer I've ever brewed but one of my favorite I've ever drank. Awesome brett character and a little tart at this point.

My issue is that there are only a few bottles left. So I'm planning on brewing another 20 gallons of the same base beer. Then I would split it into 5 gallon fermenters and ferment them each differently.

1. 5g - (Original beer) All brett fermentation - 5526 and bottle dregs
2. 5g - A more traditional Brett process - s05, bottled with 5526
3. 5g - Traditional saison yeast - Like 3522 or a dry substitute
4. 5g - A more sour brett beer - The plan here was to use the 3278 Lambic Blend and also pitch dregs from sours that had both brett and bacteria. I've read some places about addeding your own bugs or what not but on themadfermentationist.com, this was a method used.

I'm sure that the 1 and 3 will turn out well but - do both of the processes seem as though they will lend the results I want for 2 and 4?

Any tips or help is appreciated.

No thoughts? Do I absolutely need to put in Pediococcus and/or Lactobacillus or do you think the 3278 and good bottle dregs will get me enough of what I'm looking for?

I can't help you, sorry, I've never made a bretted beer but I'm considering it and would love to see the recipe you started with, I can get some 5526 cheap so if you wouldn't mind posting your recipe that would be great!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'd go ahead and pitch some lacto and/or pedio. You can use just dregs but it's kind of a gamble, it could be old, pasteurized, etc. A lot of factors can make dregs ineffective, so I always pitch extra bugs

Back