saison search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
Hi all. My first post here. I was searching my local booze store for a saison
to try and could only find Three floyds rabbid rabbit. I have already tried it and it is quite pricey. Any suggestions for a largly available saison for one to look for. Thnx for any suggestions.

I've had Saison Dupont a few times, and like it alot. Saisons are definitely one of my favorite styles right now. I can't find too many different ones either. If I can find it in my beer challenged town, it has to be somewhat widespread. It's made by Brasserie Dupont. Good luck!

I can't tell where you're located by your profile, but if you live in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic region you may be able to find Sly Fox Saison VOS. You may have difficulty finding it outside of the region, but it's worth trying to find. Excellent stuff.

Yeah, dunno where you are for local but we have quite a few available...Dupont, Sly Fox, Ommegang, Fantome, Lost Abbey, Jolly Pumpkin, Smuttynose and Victory to name a few.

Ommegang Hennepin should be the easiest to find if you're on the East coast. In/around baltimore, Clipper City released the Red Sky saison. Victory brewing usually has V-Saison as well which is mighty tasty.

sorry should have told you I live in the midwest not far from chicago

If you live in the midwest, keep your eyes peeled for Flying Dog's Colorado Saison. I just had this last night and it is excellent - beats the hell out of Ommegang.

Also, in the fall, New Belgium (the Fat Tire guys) has a Saison that is really really great too.

Where I am at (also a Chicago burb) I can only find two Saisons, the DuPont and the Three Floyds. I am not a big fan of Three Floyds, which is a shame, considering that the brewery is only minutes away from me, so I bought a bottle of the DuPont, just to try before I brewed my own.
The DuPont had a VERY good taste, but upon first opening it, I got a whiff of the skunk. After a few minutes, the bad aroma wafted away (or I got used to it, I'm not sure which), and I thoroughly enjoyed the beer.

Dupont? where is this beer made? I have not ran across this beer, or is it a brewery?

Jolly Pumpkin (Michigan) makes a great saison called Bam Biere that is fairly easy to get ahold of.

Saison Dupont (perhaps known as Saison Vieille Provision) is one of the archetypes for the style, according to Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski. It's made in one of the last farmhouse breweries in Belgium. Unfortunately, I can't find it in my neck of the woods.

There's some liquor store (I forget the name) in Milwaukee that has a zillion imports, and Gedvondur came back with 4 or so different saisons a couple weeks ago. No Dupont, but the Jenlain was *very* good. I've enjoyed Ommegang's Hennepin, but not everyone liked it as much. He also came back with a Saison Imperiale made by De Proefbrouwerij Lochristi; it's imported by Lionstone International of Lake Forest, IL.

thanks for the suggestions. Found hennepin, liked it. Also pickedup La fin du monde thought it was a saison also, but it was not. Still something I havent tried so heres to trying new beers.
CHEERS Snazzy

If you live in Florida look for Saint Somewhere Brewing's Saison Athene. It is out of this world along with their other brew Lectio Divina.

The place in Milwaukee would be Discount Liquor.

http://www.discountliquorinc.com/locations.html

The place looks like a TOTAL hole in the wall, like a run down old grocery store, but hot damn and hot butter they have a selection that swells my man-parts.

They also have a heck of a lot of glassware at a very reasonable price. Strongly recommend.

Gedvondur

Back