Saison goof.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDaddio

Reaction score
This past weekend my friend and I brewed our second batch, a Saison.

Everything went well enough except that we added the last 1oz of Simco hops at 10 min remaining in the boil rather than flame out.

I'm not too worried about it, but I'd just like an idea of what to expect. As I understand it hops added towards the end of the boil are for aroma more than anything else.

Did these hops have time to affect the flavor much? Are they still going to be able to do their job at adding the aroma one looks for in a Saison?

To entice an answer, here's a picture of the Saison from last night, about 24 hours after pitching :D

i-w4V3jHk-L.jpg

joe

You should still get aroma our of the hops. The beer will however be a bit more bitter because some of the alpha in the hops will have had a chance to isomerize... especially if it takes awhile to chill the wort.

Simcoe in a saison is interesting.... some sort of new world saison recipe?

You should still get aroma our of the hops. The beer will however be a bit more bitter because some of the alpha in the hops will have had a chance to isomerize... especially if it takes awhile to chill the wort.

Simcoe in a saison is interesting.... some sort of new world saison recipe?

The recipe (given to us by the LHBS owner) called for Hallertau originally, but he was out of them at the time, so he said to give the Simcoe a try. We were itching to do a super hoppy IPA, but he recommended we get a little more comfortable with the whole process before going to that, so our next choice was a Saison.

My guess is that he recommended Simcoe as a substitution as he knew we wanted something really hoppy, but that's just a guess.

joe

Yeah Simcoe hops is a little out of style for a saison. But thats why we're homebrewers right? We don't need no stinkin' rules!!

But back on topic, I think you'll be fine. Saisons are a good beer to try as a beginner, especially if you don't have a reliable method of temperature control yet. Saison yeast are pretty okay with being too warm and/or fluctuations.

Mike

Yeah Simcoe hops is a little out of style for a saison. But thats why we're homebrewers right? We don't need no stinkin' rules!!

But back on topic, I think you'll be fine. Saisons are a good beer to try as a beginner, especially if you don't have a reliable method of temperature control yet. Saison yeast are pretty okay with being too warm and/or fluctuations.

Mike

This (what I bolded) is the primary work-around right now. Hopefully one day soon we'll have better temperature controls, but till then it's going to be beers that can take the heat :ban:

joe

Well the only thing I can see is you will have less hop flavor then if added at flameout. I cannot imagine that amount of hops for only 10 mins adding too much to the bitterness for you to really notice. It is not like you created a "Saison IPA" or anything.

For straight up aroma I think dry hopping is a better avenue. I do a lot of late addition hopping but don't get huge aroma from it but definitely big hop flavor.

Do you want a lot of hop aroma and flavor with a Saison?

Speaking strictly "style wise" of course!

Back