Saison Fermentation with Wyeast 3711

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I brewed my first Saison two weeks ago using:
12 lbs Belgian Pilsner malt
1 lb CaraRed
1/4 lb 80L Crystal
----
1 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
1/2 oz Glacier (60 min)
1 oz Herbrucker (10 min)
----
1 pkg Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast

I've kept it at room temperature the whole time. I'd really like to serve this next weekend for a party I'm having. Should I raise the temp to 80F for a few days and then cold crash it?

You can let that yeast free rise. I've done a few beers with that yeast up to 30 degrees C and had no fusels just tons of delicious esters and phenols. What's your reason for raising the temp? If you're fermenting warm already you shouldn't have any diacetyl. 3711 doesn't floc like crazy so there's no worries there. I'd just let it finish it out then crash it. 1.003 seems like it's terminal since you don't have any sugar in your recipe. As long as there's no acetaldehyde then you're golden!

You've made an 8% beer there so you might find it tastes pretty rough after only three weeks.

Then you want to have that bottled yesterday.

If it carbs up in time, it will likely have a lot of "green" beer flavors. For saisons, I've found this is usually more banana clove and bubblegum. It will still be drinkable, but the main issue is getting it carbed up that fast

Then you want to have that bottled yesterday.

If it carbs up in time, it will likely have a lot of "green" beer flavors. For saisons, I've found this is usually more banana clove and bubblegum. It will still be drinkable, but the main issue is getting it carbed up that fast

I keg so carbing isn't a problem.

I have it cold crashed now and I'll be kegging it tomorrow. Hopefully, there won't be too many off flavors.

Latest posts

Back