Saison advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Brewing an extract saison kit. It came with t-58 and a small assorted spice packet.

Now I read that t-58 is meh for saison but it what I have. I am looking for a way to “make it mine” though. Considering forgoing the spice and orange peel packet for a fresher taste of orange zest or maybe mango and ginger.
Also the t-58 safeale is dry yeast but the packet seems much smaller than the dry yeast packs I’ve used before. Do I need a starter for this?

T-58 is typically used for Weissbier such as Hefeweizen. 11.5g is the correct packet size for 5 gallon batches. The peppery notes mentioned in SafAle's description would compliment a Saison, but the banana probably would not. If you plan on using T-58 for your Saison anyway, I would recommend keeping the fermentation temp in the lower range, to limit the production of isoamyl acetate (banana) esters. Whether or not it neatly fits into the style guidelines of a Saison, you might end up with an interesting and tasty brew. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah it was a kit and it came with that. I would have gotten something a little more hard Corps saison if it was up to me but I’ve already spent enough money for this round of beer.

T-58 will work. I've brewed a saison with it before. I like the yeasty-peppery flavor.

Next time see if you can buy a saison kit with BE-134 yeast instead of T-58.

I will for sure. I may be a noob with this only being my 4th batch but I like to get in the habit of doing it right. So will I need a starter? From what I’ve been seeing people are using a lot of fruit in secondary if I go mango. But to let the yeast do it’s thing I was thinking maybe only 2 pounds so you get a kinda “what’s that...
Is it... I don’t know it’s fresh and I like it” flavor.

With the dry yeast you don't need to do a starter. The yeast is ready to go, some folks rehydrate, but I just sprinkle it on top of the wort and put the lid on. It has always worked so far. :mug:

Latest posts

Back