saison adding spices after flameout, should I use strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithabusa

Reaction score
I always use a fine mesh strainer to transfer from kettle to primary, but this saison calls for orange peel, grains of paradise, coriander and honey at flameout. Would you not use a strainer.Going into primary so that all the spices stay in?

1420418546561.jpg

I would strain them out, prolonged contact time could lead to undesirable flavors. Ever leave a tea bag in a cup of tea for a really long time? The high temp at flameout and time it takes to cool the wort will get all the flavors you need/want from the spices.

No problem....also I make Saison pretty frequently and you should try it without those spices as well sometime. If you are using liquid yeast, most saison strains produce lots of fruity and spicy notes similar to what those spices and orange peel will contribute.

Cool thanks that would help bring cost down as well, I am using wlp550 belgian ale yeast, going for 74 F fermentation temp

Cool thanks that would help bring cost down as well, I am using wlp550 belgian ale yeast, going for 74 F fermentation temp

Any reason you are not using a classic saison strain like 565/566? I am not familiar with the types of phenolics you will get from 550 so I can't say how that will compare.

just not overly familiar with saison's, the kit that i picked up called out for it, when i looked it up online it does mention using it for saisons.

Latest posts

Back