Saflager w34/70 lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
I’m trying to ferment my first lager and I’m using saflager w34/70.

The beer I’ve brewed is a Munich Dunkel with OG of about 1.049 and I pitched 2 packets (dry ie not rehydrated) into about 5.5G of wort at 53F - should be reasonably well oxygenated FYI.

I’ve read that this yeast doesn’t typically have a long lag time but it’s now close to 48hrs with no sign of airlock activity... so am wondering if I might need to buy some emergency yeast to pitch tomorrow??

Any perspective would be helpful...

Thanks!

I rehydrate two pouches per carboy and pitch at 50F. Usually nothing at 24 hrs, by 48 hrs I see some yeast rafts and minor activity on surface of beer. At 72 hours there is always a 1/2" krausen on the beer.

full

Check the seal at the stopper as these can leak, and buckets are especially prone to leak CO2 if you're using one. Fermentation will take a while to kick off if you don't rehydrate and pitch that cold.

I say just wait

The Yeast know what they are doing. LITFA! I brew all the time and never see an air bubble in some brews. I normally do re hydrate Dry Yeast. If you look at the "real" instructions, it takes a plan to do it "right". Sometimes I can see some activity after a couple to three days. If you see crud on top, the yeast is going after a few days. In fact, a really very active bubbling is a good sign of an infection.

All good - checked this morning (about 70hrs) and bubbling has been detected... thanks again for the input.

Back