Saflager W-34/70 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingguter

Reaction score
With ale yeasts, I get away with just sprinkling dry yeast on the wort, but I want to rehydrate lager yeasts (W-34/70 in this case) to ensure that I pitch the maximum number of viable cells.

The manufacturer's instructions say to rehydrate at room temperature, however I was intending to pitch into wort at fermenting temperature (55 degrees). Now I'm worried about shocking the yeast by chilling them so rapidly.

Each solution seems to have a downfall:

Rehydrate warm and pitch into cold wort (as above) - cold shock to yeast.
Rehydrate at colder pitching temperature - against manufacturers instructions, so I'm guessing will result in fewer viable cells.
Rehydrate warm, pitch into room temp wort then chill - I know some people do this, but I'm worried that the yeast will kick off too quickly and it will turn into a race to get them cool before they start acting unlager-like.

So my question is, after I rehydrate my yeast, Do I chill it to wort temp? And how should I go about doing that. Thanks in advance.

I love the W34/70. I rehydrate with sterile water that has been cooled to about 95 degrees F for 30 minutes. Then I cool it down to ptiching temp (with the wort being cooled to the same temp) before pitching. For me, I put the wort and the yeast in my lagering cabinet over night so they reach the same temp... then I pitch the next day. I have also cooled the yeast down in the fridge. Obviously, you have to plan ahead and keep an eye on it.

34/70 is great. I use 2 packets per 5 gallons. I'm not an expert, but I was also concerned about shocking the yeast. I keep the packets in the fridge (34F), along with a sealed gallon of drinking water. When its time to pitch, I rehydrate the yeast in that water which is the same temp. The mix gets poured into the 48-50F wort.

I have just sprinkled one pack into 1.048 cool wort a number of times and got great results. Most of the time I rehydrate a single pack in warm tap water. I like the yeast but WLP830 is a little better IMO.

Latest posts

Back