Saflager W-34/70 Off Flavours / High Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skedunk

Reaction score
Hi :mug:

Has anybody ever fermented with Saflager W-34/70 at high temps? Like 23*C (74*F)? Were there any off flavors and was it palatable?

I've got a baltic porter merrily bubbling away which I pitched yesterday at 23*C expecting the temp to come down to about 18*C in the dark cupboard I keep the fermenter in. I know even that is high for a lager yeast but still safe according to Fermentis, but we're having a couple of warm days here and it hasn't come down at all so worried about off flavors.

For what it's worth I seem to be making a habit of this, had a Weiss going last with the same issue (using WB-06), wasn't paying attention and when I cracked one the other day it was like a bubblegum explosion!:drunk:

In a baltic porter you might be okay. It won't be the cleanest beer, but with a heavy beer like that, it'll be less noticeable. 34/70 is pretty clean into the 60's, but not sure about higher than 65F.

Back