Saflager S-23 at ale temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So..

The packageing says 51-75F (11-24C)with 51-59F (11-15C) being IDEAL.

Yes, I would rather use this yeast at the ideal range, but since my garage has now warmed up and i have no cooler for cool fermenting....

Has anyone used this yeast above 59F (15C)??
If so how did it impact flavor? How did it compare to a clean ale yeast?

Have a czech pilsner awaiting yeast....

(Not looking for alternates for cooling a lager either just want to know flavor issues at ale temps please) :)

EDIT: ALternativley if anyone has any comments on using safbrew s-33 for a czech pils...

At the moment that is not practical. 10-12gallons of beer weighs a lot. I use a dolly to move the fermentor around.

So, just want to know what to expect flavor wise if saflager s-23 is used at ale temps and alternately what safbrew s-33 is like when used for brewing a Czech pils. Thanks.

Apparently saflager s-23 is used in a lot of steam beer kits.

Still.. not sure what this yeast will impart in the 18C/64F(or possibly higher) range. Pitching some anyway.. Will leave it in the garage for intitial ferment. Outdoor temo has been ranging between 14c-20c with 15c-18c being avg.

Will save the 33 for the kolsch or alt I'll be brewing next.

Good luck on this, Denny. I brewed a steamaibock way back when using the saflager. Fermented in the 70's. The esters weren't that bad. I was impressed by how much cedary-spice you get from this strain, but I'm not sure if that was a product of the fermenting temps or something else. It was my 2nd batch ever, so...who knows? But you should be okay. It just might be a little spicy and estery...but not overly so.

Back