Safe to use a carboy with visible scratches on the inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington_Brewologist

THE PNW BIAB BrewOlogist
Reaction score
I picked up a used carboy for really cheap at a garage sale yesterday and due to the lovely price, I guess I missed spotting the scratches on the inside of the fermenter. I remember reading somewhere that scratches can harbor old bacteria or yeast from previous batches. I'm wondering what you guys feel about this?

If I soak it in oxy clean(Or something like it) after every brew will I be safe using it?

Impossible to say. Liquid sanitizers can have a hard time getting into craacks/scratches at worst, or they do their job. Only thing that can get into scratches is heat.

Impossible to say. Liquid sanitizers can have a hard time getting into craacks/scratches at worst, or they do their job. Only thing that can get into scratches is heat.

Haha! alright then. I suppose being out 5 bucks is a lot better than having to dump 5 gallons of infected beer. Thanks Smellyglove.

Its glass. The scrapes look like they came from some sort of metal brush that was used to clean it. I went ahead and soaked it some bleach for a few hours and have it soaking in some star san right now... Do you think I'm taking a huge risk in deciding to use it? I'm brewing an Irish Red as we speak.

Any chance you can post a telling picture or two?
Depending on depth scratches may be nothing or could be truly hazardous to life and limb, or somewhere in between...

Cheers!

IMG_20180702_201736.jpg
IMG_20180702_201713.jpg

You'll never know unless you use it. I would.

Scratches are not cracks. Just put it in a milk crate before filling it if you're worried about it.

If you're not going to use it then it has no use and should be disposed of or re-utilized.

Instead of trashing it I'd stuff if with a couple hundred colored Christmas lights and put it in the corner.

You'll never know unless you use it. I would.

Scratches are not cracks. Just put it in a milk crate before filling it if you're worried about it.

If you're not going to use it then it has no use and should be disposed of or re-utilized.

Instead of trashing it I'd stuff if with a couple hundred colored Christmas lights and put it in the corner.

Great advice Bill! I'm gonna go for it!

Lol - which option? :D

The stuff in the neck looks superficial. That long scratch on the side would be my only concern - biologically - I don't think it's substantial enough to pose a mechanical risk. Take extra care to scrub that area and give the thing a good soak in sanitizer and I suspect it'll be ok...

Cheers!

The scratches at the neck look familiar. Had that on one of my carboys. Used a damp paper towel and Barkeepers Friend to remove them. They weren't scratches. It was metal rubbed off the shaft of the carboy brush. I use a bore protector now.
resized158.jpg

Back