Safbrew WB-06 in Hefeweizen, is that right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsigmon1103

Reaction score
So i just brewed my third batch. I used Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast to pitch. Someone mentioned "Hefeweizen yeast". Is there such a thing?

I used:

2lb 2.6oz of bavarian wheat DME (1/3 used in 60 boil with hallertau hops. 2/3 added at 15 min)
Pitched yeast at about 63 degrees (those stick on thermos arent the most accurate.)
Fermenting at 65 degrees.( again with thestick on thermo)
Day after krausen has started forming, but nothing crazy.

Does this sound like its in the realm of a Hefeweizen?

Sure! The malt is all wheat extract, so those ester characters that a hefeweizen yeast can produce (banana, clove) won't be out of place. Especially if they called it "Bavarian" wheat extract, they're probably trying to formulate it to work for precisely this.
In short, it sounds like a perfect yeast selection.

Just two unrelated things, though: I'm curious what your OG is. A little more than 2 lbs of extract sounds pretty small; is this a 5 gallon batch? If so, you might have an OG of only about 1.020 which would be quite light. In the future you'd want to shoot for more like 1.045, if that's the style you're going for.

Besides that, there might be a bit of extra hop character given the addition of 2/3 of your hops late in the boil, but that certainly won't hurt your dear yeasties.
Cheers.

So to clear up the "2/3 addition". this was the the balance of the DME. Also, i am only doing 2 gallon batches. I really dont have the space (AKA wifes approval) to do 5 gallon batches.....yet. currently i dont have a hydrometer so i cannot give a OG or FG, but i can guess with the rest of them. Should be around the 1.043 range.... i hope. I was originally going to use just 2lb, but bumped it a little.

Latest posts

Back