Safbrew T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
I have brewed a Clementine Wit a number of times for my wife, who really enjoys it. I have always used Safale US-05 with great results, but the most recent batch I switched to Safbrew T-58. My wife claims that this batch has a coconut flavor, which she does not particularly care for. The batch was fermented at about 65F, so I do not think that was the problem. Has anyone else experienced a coconut or other similar ester from T-58 yeast, or do you think the flavor comes from somewhere else?

Banana yes, coconut no. Bubblegum yes, coconut no. Pepper yes, coconut, no. :D

Must be some flavor interplay between the yeast and the fruit? Or could she be mistaking some of the yeast derived flavors for coconut?

Banana yes, coconut no. Bubblegum yes, coconut no. Pepper yes, coconut, no. :D

I wonder if maybe she is tasting either banana or bubblegum and mistaking it for coconut? If it is either of those esters, I assume it will condition out with time?

Likely not. From using that yeast if you do indeed get bubblegum it takes a long time to condition out. The banana I've gotten is pretty volatile and never lasts, for me at least, past kegging. It's only there in my gravity samples. When ever I've used it, its very spicy. But I try to keep the term temps below 65 and I pitch it at 60. I've also noticed that grist composition and gravity impacts heavily on how the yeast performs and throws esters.

Here is a twist... To me, I detected a sour Lambic like note when I used this yeast. Not something I personally care for...

Back