Safbrew T-58 Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandcoding

Reaction score
Saturday I brewed a Wit with Safbrew T-58. Fermentation took off within a couple of hours after pitching the yeast, but at about the 48 hour mark, it seems to have completely stopped.

Can anyone tell me if this type of fast fermentation is common with T-58?

If you are wondering, I pitched around 70(F) and the beer is fermenting in the 72-74(F) range. It appears that there is still pressure on the airlock, all of the water is in the second chamber. But, while watching it for about 15 minutes, I didn't see any bubbles. During the first 48 hours, I was getting a bubble every 2-4 seconds.

Also, I drew a sample after pitching the yeast and the krausen on the sample appears to still be releasing CO2. I can use the sample to take a hydrometer reading, but I figured I shouldn't disturb it since it is still churning away.

Any thoughts? Well, any thoughts besides RDWHAHB?

Cheers!
Kevin

Yes, this yeast has fermented fast for me. However, don't rely on activity: take hydrometer measurements to determine when it's done.

Teacher,

Thanks for the confirmation. I have a sample fermenting for hydro readings, but am going to wait for the krausen to fall before I take a reading.

Cheers!
Kevin

**UPDATE**

The krausen in my sample glass subsided, so I took a hydro reading. After 4.5 days, I have gone from a starting gravity of 1.048 to 1.013; just shy of my target at 1.012.

I'm very happy so far with this yeast's performance.

Cheers!
Kevin

(I'm also posting this information in the main T-58 thread)

Wait - did you take an actual gravity or one from a satellite ferment?

If you mean the sample you drew out of was foamy in your hydrometer flask, that can be dealt with by spinning the hydrometer until bubbles go away. It might take a few minutes of spinning, but it's better than letting it sit overnight.

I'm beginning to like T-58 too.

Bob

Bob: I drew a sample on day two and it has been sitting next to my fermenter. I have been using this sample to take my hydro readings. I know it's not completely accurate, but from what I've read here, it should give me a ballpark of what is happening in the main tank.

Or, am I completely wrong about this?

Cheers!
Kevin

I'm afraid it's very inaccurate indeed.

The only thing that matters is what's going on in the main vessel. After all, that's what's going into the package, not the "satellite" ferment, so that's what you should be tracking. Besides, there's no guarantee what's happening in the satellite fermenter is exactly equal to what's happening in the main fermenter.

My advice: From here on out, take individual samples from the fermenter, and forget this satellite sample idea.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Back