Safbrew Abbaye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dttk0009

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Anyone have experience brewing with this yeast? I ordered a pack on a whim and it's the last one I have lying around. I want to brew a bit of a high gravity winter ale for Jan/Feb and thought why not.

I haven't found much discussion surrounding this yeast. Has anyone tried it or brewed any interesting styles with it? Any experiences with it worth sharing?

Got huge sulfur when I did a dubbel with it, with a lot of fusels. I was fermenting quite hot - 75 I think. If you do use it, be sure to pitch cool. Used it another time in a trippel, got some spiciness but not much else.

I used it on two Belgians (Triple and Strong Golden) with it. Fermented the Triple at 69 and the SG at 68. Both came out very nice, the character you expect in a Belgian, but no off flavors. I've had lots of compliments on both. I've got another batch of the triple fermenting now; used the same yeast.

Sorry, brain fart, it was the Lallemand Abbaye I used, my apologies.

I used it for a Belgian Dark Strong that was not strong to I just called it an Abbey Ale. This yeast isn't huge on the banana/spice/clove flavors but still tastes Belgian. I will definitely use it again, but will be sure to affix a blowoff tube next time. I fermented at 19C like I do almost all ales and it still blew off like a fool.

I've used it several times fermented at 65*F with great success.

I brewed a Belgian dark strong with it....pitched at 64 and it launched like a rocket. Beer turned out great, as said above, clean Belgian esters. Bought 2 more packs to brew more Belgian inspired beers

Back