safale us-05 rehydrating question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
I know how much to use for my batch from mr. malty, I just had one more beginner question. I'm going to add one cup of boiling water to a measuring cup and then add 2 packets of dry yeast (safale us-05) when the temp is around 100.( below 105 for sure) then wait to it cools to temp of my cooled wort-- around 70 -- , about 15 minutes I'm told. then pitch. I'll stir yeast occasionally. First-- my measuring cup needs to be sanitized first-- correct?
(I will sanitize with star-san) and Second, after I pitch yeast to wort, can I pick up my carboy and give it a little shake to mix? any help would be appreciated.

High OG 1.080-- mr. malty says just under 2 packets. Sound right? If I use too much yeast will that mess up my beer?

No, it won't mess anything up... Just more cost effective in the long run to only use what you need. You will be fine with what Mr. Malty says on this one! Good luck.

I have been rehydrating Fermentis products in 16.9 oz water bottles. It is RO water inside. I do the following 30 minutes into the boil: break the seal, pour 1/3 out, pour yeast in, and seal. Shake every so often. Vent after 30 minutes, too.

Fermentis says to use 80* water, +-5. You should not use RO or distilled water, as it does not have the minerals needed to properly hydrate the yeast. You only need 110ml of water per pack of yeast. When it is ready, it should look like cream.

Do you have a source on avoiding RO water to rehydrate yeast?

I'm not being adversarial. I ask because many breweries use ONLY RO for water supply and bakers recommend it for active dry yeast rehydration.

Oh, and I checked my bottled water...Michigan spring water, not RO.

I used one packet of 05 on an IPA with a OG 1.085 took it down to 1.012 in a week and a half. You can use two, I have never rehydrated my yeast packets.

So many different ideas when brewing I see. Sometimes trial and error I guess. Just want it to taste good. Thanks for all the advice.

I use 05 regularly. Right or wrong, I use 2 oz of spring water at room temperature and one packet of yeast for 5 gallons. When there is 30 minutes left in the boil I mix the yeast and water up with a sanitized spoon in a sanitized Pyrex measuring cup. I then cover with foil until ready to pitch. By the time i pitch, its very creamy.This is easy and has always worked for me without any adverse effects. I'm sure others have a different way, this is just what I do.

I just used the same strain on my blind-pig ipa extract kit. I rehydrated in 8oz of lukewarm O2 straight from the tap, swirled, and incubated for 20m. Fermentation was vigorous at 24 hours.

I just used the same strain on my blind-pig ipa extract kit. I rehydrated in 8oz of lukewarm O2 straight from the tap, swirled, and incubated for 20m. Fermentation was vigorous at 24 hours.

Wow, I have a magic O2 tap in my kitchen, lol. Meant to type water.

I have been rehydrating Fermentis products in 16.9 oz water bottles. It is RO water inside. I do the following 30 minutes into the boil: break the seal, pour 1/3 out, pour yeast in, and seal. Shake every so often. Vent after 30 minutes, too.

...Why didn't I think of that? hehe.

Anyway, I think I'll boil the water and add it back to the sanitized bottle and add the yeast for rehydration after it's back to under 80*F, and shake every now and then till pitch time.

I rehydrated Safale-05 in bottled RO and then had my brew day interrupted. The yeast sat for about 5 hours. I didn't think anything of it so I pitched it. No signs of fermentation 24 hours later. Lesson learned.

Fermentis says to use 80* water, +-5. You should not use RO or distilled water, as it does not have the minerals needed to properly hydrate the yeast. You only need 110ml of water per pack of yeast. When it is ready, it should look like cream.

It says right on the website to use sterile water it does not say whether or not you can or can't use distilled. I have personally never used anything other than distilled and had no issues, in fact my fermentation always takes off within hours with US-05 and I get 80% attenuation.

It says right on the website to use sterile water it does not say whether or not you can or can't use distilled. I have personally never used anything other than distilled and had no issues, in fact my fermentation always takes off within hours with US-05 and I get 80% attenuation.

In Danstar's "Articles" they give the reasoning for not using RO or distilled water for rehydrating dry yeast.

I rehydrated that yeast in about 400ml of spring water in my flask. Get the water to 80-90F, then sprinkle in the yeast. Let sit 15 minutes, then stir with a sanitized skewer or the like. Let sit at least another 15 minutes while sanitizing fermenter, etc. Stir up the resulting cream & pitch into wort that's within 10 degrees of the rehydrate's temperature. This should cut lag (reproductive) phase time. Oh, & keep the rehydrating vessel covered with sanitized foil or plastic wrap. I've used both.

I guess I'm going to be the contrarian and say that I think it's a waste of time to rehydrate to begin with. I just pour that sweet US05 straight into the carboy. Makes damn good beer too.

It seems demonstrably clear there is an optimal route, and many lesser paths.
- Fermentis has two pitching procedures, with the first recommending hydration.
- There have been numerous demonstrations that pitching dry yeast without hydration reduces the vitality by roughly half.
- An HBT member with a 'scope posted some fascinating images of yeast cells literally exploding their guts out when immersed in pure distilled water.

Choose wisely...

Cheers! :mug:

That kind of thing is why I like using spring water. With all those trace minerals, the lil yeasties seem to like it?...

I rehydrated that yeast in about 400ml of spring water in my flask. Get the water to 80-90F, then sprinkle in the yeast. Let sit 15 minutes, then stir with a sanitized skewer or the like. Let sit at least another 15 minutes while sanitizing fermenter, etc. Stir up the resulting cream & pitch into wort that's within 10 degrees of the rehydrate's temperature. This should cut lag (reproductive) phase time. Oh, & keep the rehydrating vessel covered with sanitized foil or plastic wrap. I've used both.

That kind of thing is why I like using spring water. With all those trace minerals, the lil yeasties seem to like it?...

Reviving old thread just to chime in and say that after brewing about 10 batches with Safale US-05 so far, this past weekend, I did exactly this (used Spring Water) and for the first time ever, I saw activity in under 12 hours -- a new record.

Details: I boiled had 400ml of water in my Pyrex flask for 20 minutes the day before brew day. On brew day, I reheated the flask in the microwave for about 20 seconds to bring it to around 80F (be sure to remove alum foil first!). Sanitized packet and scissors then pitched yeast into flask. Gently swirled for a few seconds and let sit. Put on stir plate after sitting for 15 minutes and then let it spin for over a half hour while wort was cooling. I bought two gallons of Spring Water specifically for hydrating yeast (can't use tap water since I have a whole-house water softener system).

24 hours later, the activity was pretty vigorous with 1-2 "pops" per second from the airlock.

I guess I'm going to be the contrarian and say that I think it's a waste of time to rehydrate to begin with. I just pour that sweet US05 straight into the carboy. Makes damn good beer too.

I agree, no need to rehydrate

Falls into the same category as all the other practices that are questioned regularly.

Sparge or not to sparge
Wash yeast or just use the trub
Secondary or not

Just do what you feel is the best practice

I agree, no need to rehydrate

Falls into the same category as all the other practices that are questioned regularly.

Sparge or not to sparge
Wash yeast or just use the trub
Secondary or not

Just do what you feel is the best practice

In my last brew I just used one pack, but I just boiled the water and poured into a coup. I waited for 2h and put the yeast in for 15 min. I pitched into the wort and it started working almost exactly after 12h.

I don't rehydrate, pitch directly into agitated wort around 60 F, and within 12-18 hours it's going strong

Not sure if rehydration helps or doesn't , one less step to mess with

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but being on the topic of US-05, I found a packet stashed away. (2+ years) how long does this stuff last? Was thinking of hydrating it just for fun to see if it's still alive.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but being on the topic of US-05, I found a packet stashed away. (2+ years) how long does this stuff last? Was thinking of hydrating it just for fun to see if it's still alive.

In the fridge? Good to go.

At room temperature... probably ok, do a starter and see if it takes off.

I've done a starter with US-05, but never re hydrated. Always seems to kick off in a reasonable time.

The yeast does not care at all about the minerals, but it does care about osmotic pressure.

As there are no ions in ro or distilled water but lots of them inside the yeast cell, the water constantly tries to flow into the yeast cell till the ion concentration outside of the cell matches the inside of the cell concentration.

As this is not going to happen, the cell explodes instead.

In other words, you have the wrong reasoning but doing the right actions, so keep going using spring water, never use ro or distilled water for rehydration as it kills the yeast.

Home winemaking I never hydrate yeast. I have tried 2 different tanks at the winery for adding yeast. Same juice. One had yeast added (amount) straight from the package, the other tank yeast hydrated with 100 deg. water and allowed to cool before adding. Both tanks started up (same lag phase) at the same time and both finished dry. So not sure about all the fuss and bother.

Also, yeast is a living growing organism. It is a fungi that buds and releases emzymes when it buds or splits to 2 yeast cells. Those enzymes are responsible for converting sugar to alcohol in a sort of step process. Yeast don't actually eat, or consume a lot of sugar, but convert it by living. They are really after the O xygen molecule that is in sugar that is missing in an aerobic state of the juice with all the O2 used up. Only when the juice is anaerobic (without oxygen) does real alcohol production begin. It is not like adding a teaspoon of salt to your cooking recipe. You may introduce millions of yeast cells at inoculation (pitching yeast in beer terms) but will end up with billions at the end. You cannot over add yeast since is produces more of it's kind in the liquid. The alcohol is a byproduct that is toxic to yeasts and in a sense they are creating their own poison by mass growing. So, no, you won't taste too much yeast if done right, in fact, should not be a factor.

Back