Sad Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45thparallelhopper

Reaction score
I have to do the unthinkable today, dump 2 batches. Fml. After my big brew day with my friend, my dunkel and porter began smelling very sour in secondary. I decided to bottle anyway just in case some aging would mellow it out. So far it is still sour taste and smell.
I can't think of anyway to save either batch an prevent the sight of a grown man cry as he dumps 10 gallons of beer.
I'm pretty sure an infection took root during transfer to secondary, so a OCD cleaning will be happening to all equipment repeatedly until next brew day. This sucks.

I'm sorry for you, man. That sucks when you have to dump a batch and it must really suck to dump 2 batches.

Next brews, don't secondary unless you are adding fruit, aging on oak, or long term aging. You can't gain any clarity to a porter because you can't see through them anyway and time in the primary will clear out the beer anyway.

Ditto, there's no need for a secondary unless there's a need for a secondary. Letting the beer sit in the primary for a nice length of time is so much more beneficial for the beer in the long run. Good scrubbing and sanitizing is also a good lesson to learn. I always try to clean out and scrub every piece of equipment right after i've used it, and then, they get a good second clean and a scrub before I use them again.

I quit using a secondary on almost everything. One less place for trouble to happen. Sorry about your loss of the brews.

Dude that sucks, You should have a plaque on the wall... you know to remember them

"C.O.I./D.O.F." Casualty Of Infection / Dumped on Floor "Gone but not forgotten"

Yeah man, that sucks a lot. Maybe replace your siphon and hosing. Pretty cheap way to prevent future infections. Sucks for these batches though.

See if you can make some vinegar. You may also have a good BBQ sauce ingredient. No sense in getting all morbid and dysfunctional until you've played out all the possibilities.

See if you can make some vinegar. You may also have a good BBQ sauce ingredient. No sense in getting all morbid and dysfunctional until you've played out all the possibilities.

Yeah, that's a good idea. You could keep a couple bottles for cooking. Probably be good in chili too.

Cellar it for awhile. Here's the method I use when a brew seems to have gone bad.

Step 1: Wait 30 days.
Step 2: Refrigerate and try a bottle.
Step 3: If it's still bad, go back to step 1.

Repeat until beer either tastes good, or it's all gone.

If it's going vinegary, let it finish. Once it's done, clean everything like crazy, and get back on the horse.

I haven't done it with beer, but on a batch of wine I thought was lost, I let the acetic ferment finish, and then freeze-stilled it once. That is some nice vinegar!

And hey, homemade malt vinegar with a fancy label would make a 'nice holiday gift', according to the GF.

I feel for ya - it's always a bit heartbreaking when a batch goes south.

Latest posts

Back