Sacharification temp too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill9000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what happened but my sach temp started at 160 instead of the 152 shown below. I added a gallon of cold water after 5 minutes and brought it down to 157. Doesn’t seem like this is going too cause me too many problems, but interested in opinions. Going to continue my brew and see what happens

Attachments

• 9048C6C1-59A6-4677-9A79-9B62A35445CC.png
    9048C6C1-59A6-4677-9A79-9B62A35445CC.png
    564.7 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't stop just because of a booboo.

Finish it up and see if it's good beer or not. If you've brewed the same recipe before, now you'll have something to compare.

I'm not really into the speculation game of what little mistakes might do. Especially since so many times the final product proves the speculation wrong.

i've mashed at 167f for 10 minutes on purpose, then chilled to 142f.....converted just fine, not super fast fermenting or dry like i was trying to see if it would do. :(

edit: point being it worked out like a normal mash....

Last edited:
I think the worst that will happen is your attenuation will be lower, and theFG higher than expected. It will still be beer.

Brew on :mug:

The results you see will depend on the quality of the crush of the grain. For most people and the crush they use, this will not be a big deal as it takes quite a while for the starches to gelatinize and if the temperature is brought down to the intended temperature before the majority of the starches gelatinize you will simply end up with a slightly more dextrinous wort and a higher FG. As the crush gets smaller the gelatinization speeds up and saccrification happens much quicker so more dextrines are produced. The only way to tell what your beer will turn out to be is to complete the mash, make beer, then sample it.

Back