S-L-O-W to ripen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
I made my fifth brew, an American pale ale on Labor Day weekend. I used a recycled WL Irish Ale yeast with a malt starter. Active fermentation was fast and died down after 3 days, which ain't no biggie as I've seen that happen before. I left it in primary for 3 weeks. It took the full three weeks to get the FG to 1.012. After three weeks in the bottle it still tastes green, quick to fizz up with zero head retention. I've by no means given up on this beer, I just wonder with the extra malt used as a starter give the yeast a bit too much food? Interesting, I think it just needs time.

I had a pale that took at least a month to taste not-green. It was a crowd favorite after that point, but I'm still not satisifed :cross: That's why I brewed another

sometimes we brew up a dud as far as head retention. what was your grain bill?

Don't remember, it was one of those Brewers Best kits. I can look at the instruction list, but they don't always give exact grain types included as they may vary from batch to batch.

I have the same batch brewing currently, and now that I've read this I'll definitely be keeping it in the primary a month before bottling. However, I did not use extra malt as the yeast starter, just went exactly by the instructions.

Grain bill is as follows:
FERMENTABLES
6.6 lb. Light LME
SPECIALTY GRAINS
1 lb. Caramel 20L
HOPS
2 oz. Bittering (I believe cascade)
1.5 oz. Aroma (don't remember which came with my kit)
YEAST
1 Sachet Ale Yeast

Did your ale see any fridge time before popping them? That's apart of the process to me. The co2 needs to be driven into solution by the colder temps for 5 days to 2 weeks. I've found 2 weeks to be way better for a thick head & long lasting carbonation.
Over & above clearing initial chill haze,& getting the yeast trub to compact more on the bottom of the bottles. I think that also helps settle minor off flavors with the yeast adter all the room temp conditioning,etc.

When I brew, whether its from an ingredients kit or a recipie I put together I always reduce the ingredients and process on a standard beer summary that lists exactly what I had and what I did. I usually vary somewhat from the published start point and that helps keep me organized. If you're interested I can post the sheet

Did your ale see any fridge time before popping them? That's apart of the process to me. The co2 needs to be driven into solution by the colder temps for 5 days to 2 weeks. I've found 2 weeks to be way better for a thick head & long lasting carbonation.
Over & above clearing initial chill haze,& getting the yeast trub to compact more on the bottom of the bottles. I think that also helps settle minor off flavors with the yeast adter all the room temp conditioning,etc.

No fridge time, I tested one bottle per week at room temp. I'll throw a few in the fridge for Friday and see what happens. Friday will mark 4 weeks in the bottle.

When I brew, whether its from an ingredients kit or a recipie I put together I always reduce the ingredients and process on a standard beer summary that lists exactly what I had and what I did. I usually vary somewhat from the published start point and that helps keep me organized. If you're interested I can post the sheet

That would help, thanks.

No fridge time, I tested one bottle per week at room temp. I'll throw a few in the fridge for Friday and see what happens. Friday will mark 4 weeks in the bottle.

That's your issue. Beer absorbs CO2 better when it's cold. When I use to bottle, I found that my beers usually peaked after about 3 weeks in the fridge. They were carbed nice after a few days, but really cleared up and tasted better after a few weeks. Chill those bad boys down!

Woodland said:
I made my fifth brew, an American pale ale on Labor Day weekend. I used a recycled WL Irish Ale yeast with a malt starter. Active fermentation was fast and died down after 3 days, which ain't no biggie as I've seen that happen before. I left it in primary for 3 weeks. It took the full three weeks to get the FG to 1.012. After three weeks in the bottle it still tastes green, quick to fizz up with zero head retention. I've by no means given up on this beer, I just wonder with the extra malt used as a starter give the yeast a bit too much food? Interesting, I think it just needs time.

I don't think the extra malt in the starter had any affect on your batch. Your yeast should have fermented out all the sugars in your starter anyways.

As far as head retention goes there is a fine line between it and carbonation.

Foam is the result of CO2 bubbles rising through the beer. These bubbles attach themselves to substances in the beer and form a skin around the bubble. Obviously the more CO2, the more bubbles, but the goal of the brewer is not bubbles but stability of the head. As foam collapses, evaporating bubbles tend to solidify the beer near the surface, allowing more beer to be poured with less foaming after a few minutes have passed.

Head stability depends on the presence of substances with low surface tension in the beer which can form stable elastic bubbles. The two primary contributors to head retention are certain high molecular weight proteins and isohumulones (alpha acids from hops). Therefore beers with more proteins that are highly hopped will have higher head retention.

Methods for Improving Head Retention

· The use of body and head enhancing malts such as crystal, wheat, or carafoam

· The altering of the mash schedule to enhance head retaining proteins

· The use of heading agents – additives that enhance head retention

· Addition of high alpha hops – which will increase bitterness, but also increas isohumulones that enhance head retention

· Limiting the use of household soaps on drinking glasses and homebrew equipment

Yup, needs some cold time. It will help with carbonation, but it will also remove a lot of that "green" flavor. 3-5 days will help with carbonation and will make it a little less green. Up to 2 or even 3 weeks may continue to provide benefit.

Yeah,I learned from fridging beers for Labor day that 2 weeks in the fridge gave a thicker head,& long lasting carbonation. Some heavier beers,like my Whiskely ale,need that extended time to get head & carbonation like a pale ale would given the less fridge time,but similar priming.

Back