S.G. at 1020 after 2 weeks!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungMin

Reaction score
This is my second kit....The first kit turned out fine. So i got a Muntons Premium Gold (Midas Touch Golden Ale) kit and started it 2 weeks ago. Sanitized the hell out of everything exactly like i did the first time. I forgot to take the specific gravity when i started, so i have nothing to compare it to.....

But today, a full 2 weeks after I started the batch, I checked the S.G. and it was 1020!! I'm refurbishing a keg and waiting for some keg 0-rings so I didnt check it before because I had no need as the o-rings hadn't arrived (and didnt want to risk infection buggering around in it).

The airlock bubbled away once ever few second for a week or so. I've had the fermenter in water with a towel wrapped around it to keep the temperature down....its been between 20 ~ 23 degrees celsius the whole time. There is that ring of brown stuff (name has escaped me right now) around the inside of the fermenter and the level of the liquid had dropped.

The directions on the box say it should come out around 1014!!! Today, 2 weeks later its at 1020!!! What is going on here?? It smells a little sweet, but doesnt seem to smell or taste bad.

Advice appreciated here.....I just ran and got a brew out of the fridge to try and relax!!! hahahaha.....

How did you aerate before pitching?

Try Gently swirling or stirring, and you might get another couple points, but most likely its pretty close to done. These measures have never gotten me more than a point or two.

Re-examine your process, and make sure you are following directions, pitching at the right temps, and aerating well.

I followed the directions and pitched just a few degrees above recommended (couldn't get it any cooler). Like I said, I don't understand what went wrong.

I will try and stir it a bit and see what happens. If it doesn't go down, or only goes down a bit more.....is the batch still good?? Or is it garbage??

I just say a post about another dude that was brewing Muntons and could only get the S.G. down to 1020. He seemed to think it was the yeast.

Anyways...I'm a little bummed. Those aren't the cheapest kits to buy, especially here in Korea.

Have you, or are you planning to rack to secondary? Sometimes this will stir the yeasties up a bit and cause your brew to drop a couple more points. I've had a couple brews finish high (along with quite a few people around here) and they turned out fine. It just sounds like your suffering from what we call the 1.020 curse.

There does seem to be a fair amount of stuck fermentations using Munton's yeast. What temperature is the beer at as you might try warming it up after a gentle swirl.

Give the yeast a gentle swirl,

got the the corner store and ask Adashi for a bottle of Three Mountians Soju

and give it another week

where in Korea are you ?

Up there eh?? Someone told me the other day that thats where M.A.S.H. was filmed??

And thanks everyone for the tips.....I gave the beer a stir and will let it sit for a few more days and then check the beer again.

Thanks.

I have the exact same problem with my chocolate stout that used that type of yeast. Swirled and let it sit 3 days in warmer temps, but it did not help. Probably will just end up bottling it Tuesday (which will put it at 3 weeks in the primary) and hope for the best.

warm it up. the towel cooling thing is a good idea for the begining of fermentation. the heat released by the yeast can push the temp up too high... but towards the end of fermentation, the cool temp can shut things down early. I'd let it warm up for a day or two, then swirl it and wait a few more days and test again. Good luck, though; I hate munton's yeast.

Back