S-23 overpitch/warm short fermentation, results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Hey All-

I have a Blichmann Therminator Plate Chiller and my water temps in California in the summer are too high to get to lager pitching temp.

Usually I can put the wort in my ferm chamber at 80F, and then pitch when I get down to 70F... on it's way down to 50F (lager ferm temp). And the results are fine. (Sure I should probably wait but it seems to work.)

This time I repitched 15 gallons of Oktoberfest 1.067 OG, with all the S-23 yeast from a 10 gallon fermentation (that started with 4 packets).

Well, there was so much fresh yeast that the fermentation took off in an hour (or less). The fermentation threw 2-3 inches of krausen (one bucket that was quite full even had blow off). I didn't even add O2 or yeast nutrient... it was not needed.

The fridge finally caught up over night and controlled the fermentation on day two at 50F.

The fermentation was done in 4 days.

I plan to cold crash and lager the beer on day 7... no need to wait it is done. I'm doing the D-rest now.

So, my question... Is the over pitching going to help the fact that the temp was 70-60F for the first few hours (limited growth). Should I expect more esters? more sulfur?

Anyone with experience with S-23 yeast with similar fermentation conditions? Thanks!

Back