S-05 Attenuation and Alcohol Tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobrien

Reaction score
I'm planning out a big RIS (BCBS clone https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223746) and I am curious about others' experience with S-05 in big beers.

My plan is to shoot for an 8 gallon batch with an OG of 1.150 and a FG of 1.040 and pitching four packets of S-05 into an o2 infused wort.

Is S-05 going ferment from 1.150 down to 1.040? Anything special I need to do during fermentation to help it along, like a second shot of o2 or anything like that?

If you think that S-05 can't handle 14.5% (or 17.5% if you use the alternate formula) I'm not averse to lowering the OG as opposed to letting it crap out at 1.050-1.060.

Thanks for any experience/advice you might have!

I saw that thread, but I guess I'm looking for some experience or advice more specific to my situation.

My biggest worry is that 1.150 is too high a start and I won't get down to my desired FG.

I have gotten to 12%abv with this method, I might have been able to get more but not real sure. If you gradually feed the beer sugar and o2 during fermentation I would imagine you will have better luck getting to your desired abv.

large_size_5.jpg

sub'd

I have gotten to 12%abv with this method, I might have been able to get more but not real sure. If you gradually feed the beer sugar and o2 during fermentation I would imagine you will have better luck getting to your desired abv.

So it's sounding like unless I want to step feed the beer, 12% might be the magic number. And since I'm more concerned with hitting a FG of around 1.040, maybe I'll lower the OG to around 1.130

Haha

You going to rehydrate those 4 packs?

Now I want to brew this.

I've gotten 05 up to 14.5% and down to 1.022 on that beer. I guess it could work but I'd consider pitching some champagne or high gravity yeast around day 3 or 4.

I've switched to Notty for my higher ABV beer. Faster, more floculant. THe only issue is that when you keep the temps low for a clean profile, it sometimes craps out a few points early. I have had trouble timing the ramp up since Notty can sometimes finish in a few days.

Ok, so I've gotten votes for 12%, 14.5%, 15% (from another thread), and a submarine.

I think I'm going to split the difference and shoot for approximately 13.5% (OG-1.140 to FG-1.040), oxygenate and then pitch four rehydrated packs of S-05 with wyeast nutrient, and keep WLP-099 or champagne yeast handy in case it gets stuck.

I'll try to remember to post back results after I brew this weekend lest I land myself in the favorite HBT Post-ers thread :)

I did a barleywine with US05. 2 packs, rehydrated. It went 1.118 to 1.024 before it quit. Then I pitched some EC1118 and got to 1.02.

Are you bottle conditioning this beer? You need to have some remaining tolerance in the yeast to carb up

So I shot for 1.120 and missed by a long shot. I have poor efficiency as-is, and it really suffered on this large grain bill. I got 1.094 and I'm now step feeding it with cane sugar back up to 1.120. I'll update after I'm done with the sugar additions.

I got 1.094 and I'm now step feeding it with cane sugar back up to 1.120. I'll update after I'm done with the sugar additions.

That should just dry it out a bit right? Not too far off. I still struggle with efficiency a little too. Not quite sure why.

That should just dry it out a bit right? Not too far off. I still struggle with efficiency a little too. Not quite sure why.

I guess it did dry it out. Just took a hydro sample and it went from ~1.120 down to 1.022. Much lower than I wanted to go, but using the alternate ABV formula for high gravity brews, that comes out to 14.65%.

Just moved the beer onto some secondary additions and did another hydro sample. It dropped another ten points to 1.012!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449343102.477195.jpg
Using the alternative formula on brewer's friend, gives me an ABV of 16.5%. S-05 is a beast.

Sample tasted great, but way too thin for what i was hoping. Still gonna be a great beer though.

Just moved the beer onto some secondary additions and did another hydro sample. It dropped another ten points to 1.012!
View attachment 320749
Using the alternative formula on brewer's friend, gives me an ABV of 16.5%. S-05 is a beast.

Sample tasted great, but way too thin for what i was hoping. Still gonna be a great beer though.

WOW!!! What a great fermentation!!! Let us know how this one tastes in 2 years... :ban:

View attachment 320749

Hot damn!! How much sugar did you wind up adding? I wonder if adding lme or dme would have gotten you similar results without going so dry/thin.

You certainly could have. I personally would have gone half sugar half extra light dme. It probably isn't too late to boil some maltodextrine and add to secondary to help the body some if you aren't happy with where it's at.

I guess it did dry it out. Just took a hydro sample and it went from ~1.120 down to 1.022. Much lower than I wanted to go, but using the alternate ABV formula for high gravity brews, that comes out to 14.65%.

Good to know. I'd been told US-05 did indeed tap out around 12%....

Not the image I would have chosen..

You certainly could have. I personally would have gone half sugar half extra light dme. It probably isn't too late to boil some maltodextrine and add to secondary to help the body some if you aren't happy with where it's at.

You know a good calculator or have advice on amount to add? And I assume I could add it at bottling instead? I already split my 8 gallons into four different secondaries (for different additions).

You know a good calculator or have advice on amount to add? And I assume I could add it at bottling instead? I already split my 8 gallons into four different secondaries (for different additions).

I don't know of a good calculator unfortunately but if it's already split up that way I personally would add at bottling.

Back