Used Old US-05 possibly stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drinks3point2

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed for the first time in a few years. Prior to my hiatus I picked up a pretty big stockpile of ingredients. Due to the current state of the nation, I got fired up and decided what have I got to lose, I'll brew and use the old ingredients...including yeast.
To my question:
I pitched two packets of US-05 in (two because of their age and hoping for the best, the yeast had been in my fridge for 3 years in a ziplock bag) a 2-row Simcoe SMaSH with an OG of 1.060. The beer started fermenting well by morning and had a nice Krausen going. Three days in it started to recede and mellow out. Today is day 7. I used my thief and took a gravity reading and got 1.030. Not much action in the airlock.

I realize that I'm being a little paranoid but since I'm stuck at home and this resource exists I am looking for some input or thoughts. I plan to take another gravity in a day or two and see if my numbers continue to drop.
Would any of you folks do anything different? Thank you in advance.

You didn't mention temperature. Since primary fermentation appears to be complete, I would raise the temp to ~70F (a few degrees higher will be OK) and give it another week.

If you don't have active temperature control, just move it to a warmer location than where it is now.

I fermented at 68º, the constant temp in my basement. Pitched at 70º. The carboy therm. sticker got up to 70º for a bit through its highest level of activity on probably day 2

I fermented at 68º, the constant temp in my basement. Pitched at 70º. The carboy therm. sticker got up to 70º for a bit through its highest level of activity on probably day 2

Then it may be done.

It's not going to hurt to move it to a slightly warmer location and give it another week, but it may not drop the gravity reading.

Only question left is how high did you mash? If you let temps get crazy, like over 160ºF with no rest in the beta range, that could explain low attenuation. Although 50% is very low for US-05.

I mashed at 150º for 60min in my Gott Cooler with the full boil volume and used the no sparge method (BIAB). So nothing out of the ordinary on that front. Really the only unique variable that I can think of that differs from what I've always done, and had good results from, is the old yeast. Which is why I pitched two packets with my fingers crossed.

Sounds like your conclusion is the right one. Nothing would stop you from pitching fresh yeast to finish it off. Unless... you have no way to get some. But what could cause that to happen?! Sigh...

If you had the fermenter on the floor it may be quite a bit cooler than 68, especially if directly on a concrete floor. Bring the beer somewhere warmer, even high 70's and see if it ferments more. Your yeast may have decided to take a nap.

I decided to try and raise the temp. and see if I got any action. I pulled the carboy out of the bathtub and placed it on top of a heating pad on the counter. Brought the temp. up from 68º to 72º for a couple of hours and turned the heating pad off. I did see some action. I took another gravity reading this morning and it was down to 1.026 and still showing some signs of life. I think my feelings of paranoia may have been spot on, to begin with. Never the less, I am grateful for tips the friendly advice. I'm interested to see how far down the SG goes. Thanks again, everyone.

Latest posts

Back