Rye???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very common and popular. Different flavor than wheat - think rye bread.

Cool, I have a house Kolsch that I'm thinking of subbing the wheat out. Probably wont be as light (traditional Kolsch) but might be fun. Anyone know a good representation of rye beer to get the flavor????

I really like Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. It's a hoppy IPA, though, so if you don't like IPAs you probably won't care for it. Founder's has a simliar beer, called Red's Rye PA. Most of the rye beers I can think of are IPAs, or at least very hoppy beers. Well, besides German Roggenbiers, which are hard to find commercially in the US.

I love rye, but some people do not. It has a distinctive spicy character to it that you either love or hate. In small amounts, it adds complexity to a beer. In larger amounts, it's a spicy pepper crisp flavor that is awesome!

Very cool thanks yooper, will snag a couple soon. I've been looking for an excuse to dry hop somethin. Maybe citra?? Amt on the dry hop?

I'm really excited about the Dry Rye Roggenbier from Midwest I purchased yesterday. I can not wait to get this spicy/bready brew started! I opted for the Wyeast Activator for the first time, so we will see what happens.

Rye is nothing like wheat, but I love it in a lot of beers. I use 15% in a saison, and 20% in a CTZ ipa. One thing to watch out for is the high protein content- I almost plugged my plate chiller with break material the first time I made a rye beer. It can be gummy, too, which can plug up mash tun manifolds. Hasn't happened to me with a braid, but I had a buddy that had to go elbow deep in a hot mash tun.

Back