Rye Pale Ale Partial Mash Recipe--did I screw this up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivepoundpossum

Reaction score
how does this recipe look? i brewed this the other day and then realized that my beersmith settings set on "extract" rather than "partial mash" (even though i used my own equipment profile that has all the info for my partial mash setup--4.25 g boil, single infusion, batch sparge, late addition extract). when i switched to the "partial mash" setting, all my numbers were screwy. does this look like a reasonable recipe? i'm worried that my hops will be minimal and the alcohol too high for an american pale ale. thanks!

Rye Pale Ale
.5 lb honey malt
1 lb rye malt
1 lb munich II malt
1.25 lb biscuit malt
1.5 lb Vienna malt
.5 lb pilsner LME
5.5 lb golden DME

.5 oz magnum (13.1%aa)-60 min
.25 oz centennial (8.7%)-15
.25 oz fuggles (4.5%)-5
1 oz centennial (8.7%)-0

1 oz amarillo dry hop 7 days

Yep, you're going to be at less than 30 IBU's, but not disasterously far off. You could always boil-up some hops, or add some oak chips to give it a tannin backbone. I think you'll be fine regardless.

i realize i wouldn't get any ibu's from dry hopping, but do you think doubling the dry hop might help?

It is going to be a bit sweet as is. If you jack up the dry hops the end result might be like drinking a boquet of flowers, particularly with the Amarillo.

Dammit technology! I say through in another .5oz dry hop at most, though honestly I would probably just wait it out and see how it tastes.

Latest posts

Back