Rye IPA with this grain bill, or if not, what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes909

Reaction score
Have several leftover specialty grains, nothing left from the 50lb sack of 2-row. :-(

3 Gallon batch..
1 lb light DME (had to use this to boost gravity) (17.1%)
2.25 lb Belgian Munich (39.1%)
1.25 lb American rye (21.7%)
1.25 lb White wheat (21.7%)

Looking at a OG of 1060. Thoughts?

I also have these leftover if they can be put to use with the above...:

Another 1 lb light DME
Honey malt - 1.5 lb
Crystal 60L - 1 lb
Victory - 1 lb
White wheat - another 1.25 lb

Trying to use what I have before buying anything else right now...also I am limited to doing 3 gallon stovetop BIAB batches..
Cheers

That's a lot of rye if you want a light bodied IPA, but if you want something a little chewier then you're good. You're also high on the munich, but again not a biggie if you want malt flavor and colour. I probably wouldn't add any other specialty ingredients, unless you want to take this in another direction, like an amber or brown.

For my tastes with the IPA approach, I would lighten the malt character and body to let the hop character shine through. This could be as simple as reducing the munich so that you're getting about 4.5 - 5% abv from the malt. Then add ordinary table sugar to take it the rest of the way.

Back