Rye IPA mini-mash recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a rye IPA mini-mash and would like to know what you think. Trying to get this to style (21B) and if it comes out well i may enter it in an upcoming competition in October. If I do, it would be my first competition.

Here's the recipe
Mash
1# of Maris Otter
1# of rye malt
.25# of rye chocolate malt

Boil
3# of extra light DME
3# of light DME (last 15 mins of boil)

Hops
1oz Simcoe- 60 mins

.75oz Centennial - 10 mins
.75oz Cascade - 10 mins

.75oz Centennial - whirlpool 10 mins
.75oz Cascade - whirlpool 10 mins

1oz Centennial - dry hop 3-4 days before cold crashing
1oz Cascade - dry hop 3-4 days before cold crashing

I was going to use a decanted starter from a fresh vial of WLP001.

Any thoughts on how this may turn out?

Thank you in advance.

What are the 1oz "Since?" Simcoe? Recipe looks pretty good to me. While this is subjective, 1# Rye in this recipe should provide noticeable, but not prominent rye flavor. If you want more than this, perhaps bump the rye to 1.5# or so.

I really, really like WY1450 for Rye IPA's. Who am I to question Denny? 1450 fully attenuates but leaves just a touch of malt sweetness. That may or may not be what you want though. WLP001 should work just fine...

What are the 1oz "Since?" Simcoe? Recipe looks pretty good to me. While this is subjective, 1# Rye in this recipe should provide noticeable, but not prominent rye flavor. If you want more than this, perhaps bump the rye to 1.5# or so.

I really, really like WY1450 for Rye IPA's. Who am I to question Denny? 1450 fully attenuates but leaves just a touch of malt sweetness. That may or may not be what you want though. WLP001 should work just fine...

Yes, the since meant Simcoe. Phone autocorrect. I've edited above.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the 1450 yeast a little more. It does sound intriguing.

Simcoe are expensive for me - so I'll use a cheaper hop for the 60 min

I like using flaked rye as well as rye malt. It contributes complexity to rye flavor, mouthfeel, and head retention. I've also gone to First wort hopping for bittering hops and all other additions to the whirlpool. Drop the temps from boiling to 170, toss them in, and extend the whirlpool to at least 30 minutes. Centennial and Cascade play well together and with the rye.

Northern brewer has a Maris Otter LME that I used in the past (before all grain) that is awesome. Also FWH is the way to go with this style. I use Palisade for the FWH, then cascade and centennial at 20, 15, 0. I use a intercooler and pump to chill and get to 170* ~30 sec after flame out. Let whirlpool for 20,chill and pitch. I also second the 1450 yeast,this is a great yeast to use if you want that malt backbone in a hoppy style.

Latest posts

Back