Rye in a Graff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Rye in a Graff? I just made a 2 gal batch.
First I steeped 8oz of cracked rye.
Then brought the water to a boil with 1lb of amber DME.
Then added water and FAJC to enough to reach 1.068 SG.
Hit it with Nottingham yeast and it is off to the races after about 10 hrs.

I probably will not add any spices or gruuit because the rye should offset any malt sweetness. Any thoughts or comments?

I've tried it with Briess Rye LME. It was just OK, not worth it to me to do it again.
I might try it again using 50/50 malted Rye and 2-row and some hops similar to a SN Ruthless Rye

for rye to shine you want it to be about 20% of your fermentables. I would think it would work well in a graf

Has anyone tried Rye in a Graff? I just made a 2 gal batch.
First I steeped 8oz of cracked rye.
Then brought the water to a boil with 1lb of amber DME.
Then added water and FAJC to enough to reach 1.068 SG.
Hit it with Nottingham yeast and it is off to the races after about 10 hrs.

I probably will not add any spices or gruuit because the rye should offset any malt sweetness. Any thoughts or comments?
How did this turn out. I am want to do a rye graf experiment as well, but and not finding much of a guide for the amount.

My plan is to select Chocolate Rye as a stepping grain for a stout-ish graf. Thanks for any thoughts, inputs, or suggestions.

I think the 8oz cracked rye, steeped for 30 min, was about right. But I like a strong rye bread, so I might not be the best "normal" judge.

I just sampled some a "rye wit" based on a recipe I heard on the basic brewing podcast. It was ok, but better blended with some cider I had on hand.
IMO, since cider and beer have many variations, do better with different yeast strains, and benefit from different lengths of aging, its better to make cider and beer separately and then blend to taste.

Back