Rye = Dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I've done some experimenting in my last few batches of saison with additions of malted and flaked rye. It seems like the flavor impact is fairly minimal but man, it really makes for a dry profile. I'm using about 20% and the rest is primarily Pilsen and a small dose of aromatic. The dryness is interesting but leaves the profile a bit thin. I'm thinking that if I use it in the future I'll have to sub in a bit of cara to balance things out.

My experience with rye is that it boosts viscosity and body without adding sweetness, while also adding a dry finish. The effect depends on how much you use, I suppose. I made a beer with 40% rye that was pretty thick, yet dry as hell.

Very dry is exactly what I want in Saison

I hear that a lot, but depending on the recipe a beer that gets excessively dry can turn thin and lifeless. Yes, saisons should be dry, but without sacrificing complexity.

Back