Rye Braggot - how far can I go ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiccoStar

Reaction score
From what I've searched it's not widely explored doing mead/ braggot with rye grain, but this quarantine has convinced me it will be a great idea lol. On top of that I want to use Brettanomyces (I know I'm crazy).

What I'm looking to get feedback on is how high % can I go with rye on a braggot before undesired results? I want a drier more mead focused finish, with a touch of rye complexity and slight body.

This is my 'rough draft' recipe that I am contemplating and I would love some feedback, or even better, first hand knowledge/ experience:

(5 gallon batch)

3.3lbs of rye malt
1lb flaked oats
10 lbs of honey (not sure the type, not buckwheat but thick and heavy like it)

Like stated, I will be using Brett to ferment (I believe it's a B strain, could be mixed).

I prefer oxygen presence with Brett (no airlock) to get the 'funk' a bit faster, but would this cause some oxidation worries being that I have some wort in the mix? (normal mead has been no issue IME).

Thanks in advance for advice, knowledge, and shared experience!

Never tried rye in a mead but I use 10-15% in IPAs and find that adds quite a bit of spiciness and character. I can’t image you would have much of the honey subtly left over 5-10% rye. Interesting recipe idea, would like hear what you think when to finish it.

Never tried rye in a mead but I use 10-15% in IPAs and find that adds quite a bit of spiciness and character. I can’t image you would have much of the honey subtly left over 5-10% rye. Interesting recipe idea, would like hear what you think when to finish it.

Thanks for the info. Hoping to get to this next week and let it sit 6 months or so. Still need to decide/ dial in my fermentables ratio, I am thinking that around 15% on the rye could be a good number like you said.

I'll post updates and let you know how it goes!

Back